What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Does 144Hz still have tearing?

Lysrin

Adaptive VSync has never given me the results I have hoped for. Not sure why. I thought it would be the solution to all my tearing woes but it wasn't. I find now I don't use it and end up turning vsync on in games more often than not. I notice screen tearing much more than I notice input lag, with the games I play anyway.

Bond007

Adaptive VSync has never given me the results I have hoped for. Not sure why. I thought it would be the solution to all my tearing woes but it wasn't. I find now I don't use it and end up turning vsync on in games more often than not. I notice screen tearing much more than I notice input lag, with the games I play anyway.

You are one of the first people I have ever heard say that adaptive sync wasn't amazing. Curious why your not getting good results.

Lysrin

You are one of the first people I have ever heard say that adaptive sync wasn't amazing. Curious why your not getting good results.
Really? I'm not the first person I've heard. Not sure why it doesn't work well for me, however a couple things come to mind. To me it seemed I still saw tearing that I don't see if I just turn vsync on permanent. I haven't used it in a while and most of my experience comes from when I was running a 780 SC for gaming at 1440p. Haven't used it (I don't think) since I upgraded to the 980 Classified so maybe it would be better? But more importantly I did discover a while back with help from folks here that I was getting bad performance on my U2711 using DVI. I switched to DP and visual issues nearly went away. Perhaps the odd behaviour I had with adaptive vsync was related to running on the bad DVI cable/connection and I would get better results now on DP. Further testing may be required! :biggrin:

Vittra

Adaptive Sync wasn't devised to address tearing, it was devised as an alternative to triple buffering which addressed Vsync halving framerates if your FPS dipped below monitor refresh. Some people did not like this as it introduced even more input lag than just vsync alone. Instead of bothering with Vsync/Triple Buffering, it just turns Vsync off below your monitors refresh rate... so you are going to get tearing unless your fps is consistently above monitor refresh (vsync on). It's just an option for people that don't care about tearing but do care about input lag.

I never use Vsync, unless I have to do the Vsync/Triple Buffering/Frame Limiter combo to remove mouse smoothing in a game because it's forced in the engine and there's no other way around it.

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

If you use adaptive vsync and you drop below 60hz it drops to half refresh/30fps doesnt it? That sucks huge.

Yes it does. That's where the perceived input lag and micro-stutter occurs. Since the monitor has that delay between 60Hz and 30Hz switch plus frame time variance jumps up. Vsync only works in intervals.

Nvidia Adaptive Sync enables VSYNC if FPS exceeds your monitors refresh rate, and disables it as soon as it drops below.

Yeah that's what I've read too but I thought the enabled vsync is only if it is set in NVCP or per-app setting though?

The main advantage that Gsync monitors have over freesync is how fast the monitor refreshes at certain lower frame rate intervals where it will do framerate doubling or even quadrupling to keep the monitor's refresh rate up and ready to make that change in refresh rate faster which should help lower any perceived input lag or micro stutter. PcPer did a good write up and video about it too.

Dissecting G-Sync and FreeSync - How the Technologies Differ | PC Perspective

G-Sync treats this “below the window” scenario very differently. Rather than reverting to VSync on or off, the module in the G-Sync display is responsible for auto-refreshing the screen if the frame rate dips below the minimum refresh of the panel that would otherwise be affected by flicker. So, in a 30-144 Hz G-Sync monitor, we have measured that when the frame rate actually gets to 29 FPS, the display is actually refreshing at 58 Hz, each frame being “drawn” one extra instance to avoid flicker of the pixels but still maintains a tear free and stutter free animation. If the frame rate dips to 25 FPS, then the screen draws at 50 Hz. If the frame rate drops to something more extreme like 14 FPS, we actually see the module quadruple drawing the frame, taking the refresh rate back to 56 Hz. It’s a clever trick that keeps the VRR goals and prevents a degradation of the gaming experience. But, this method requires a local frame buffer and requires logic on the display controller to work. Hence, the current implementation in a G-Sync module.

Then again, I've always been picky about my minimum fps... I'd rather have lowered settings than have my minimum fps ever get below 30fps... but I guess some people want all the eye candy they can get so this trick is quite a smart way to deal with those bad framerate dips without sacrificing the NVIDIA Gsync module's variable refresh rate so that should also help prevent screen tearing, input lag and micro-stutter when below 30fps and is something AMD should definitely implement as well... but of course AMD's current solution is software based so it would probably sap GPU performance if they made their GPUs double the frames instead of working on rendering new frames... hmm...

Vittra

Do not confuse Adaptive V-sync with the Adaptive Sync/G-sync/Freesync trio. They are different technologies.

Houdini

Ya displays definitely tear if your framerate isn't matching the displays refresh rate. Doesn't matter if it is under or over. GSYNC is the solution. It really is game changing IMO.
Really? So if I’m getting like 120 FPS on a 144hz monitor ill still see tearing?

Houdini

I noticed in the newish COD if you sync, the frames lock out at 60fps. So it needs to be off and I have to suffer some screen tear.
Shouldn’t the frames lock at 144? Or is that not an option? And you do you notice the screen tear?

clshades

Shouldn’t the frames lock at 144? Or is that not an option? And you do you notice the screen tear?
Not an option. As soon as you enable v-sync it locks the fps frame selector out and it can't be adjusted.

I noticed I wasn't fragging people as easily after playing with it with v-sync on vs off. Bullets that appear to make contact weren't. Losing 1 on 1 more often.

It's bad enough the controller players get aim assist. As soon as I disabled the v-sync the fps counter jumped back up and the fps adjuster wasn't greyed out any longer.

Latest posts