What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Does 144Hz still have tearing?

clshades

yea that's wild. hopefully an update or something will fix it.
Ok, after some more looking around and testing... If any of my other displays are connected while I'm playing it dumps to the lowest monitor even though I've selected the gaming monitor in the game menu. V-sync works if I disable the other displays while playing. Pretty lame IMO.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
the issue you're facing of 'locked' FPS with dual monitors is because of your version of windows 10. It's a bug that was resolved in the latest 1909 update.

I posted about it in the most recent windows update thread if you want to see more.

clshades

the issue you're facing of 'locked' FPS with dual monitors is because of your version of windows 10. It's a bug that was resolved in the latest 1909 update.

I posted about it in the most recent windows update thread if you want to see more.
Yes i'd like to know more please.

I am running 1909.

Houdini

Ok, after some more looking around and testing... If any of my other displays are connected while I'm playing it dumps to the lowest monitor even though I've selected the gaming monitor in the game menu. V-sync works if I disable the other displays while playing. Pretty lame IMO.
Yea that’s dumb. If you play a game with less than 144 FPS what happens?

clshades

Yea that’s dumb. If you play a game with less than 144 FPS what happens?
Bullets aren't hitting as much. What I see compared to the replay it's pretty apparent that bullets are being ignored. 1 vs 1 same weapon I die 1st more often than not. I've been playing fps since quake 2 so I have a pretty good feel for when things are responding correctly.

Houdini

Bullets aren't hitting as much. What I see compared to the replay it's pretty apparent that bullets are being ignored. 1 vs 1 same weapon I die 1st more often than not. I've been playing fps since quake 2 so I have a pretty good feel for when things are responding correctly.
Yea that’s crazy. Hopefully it won’t be as bad for me with Star Wars lol. Don’t want to swing and completely miss a trooper lol

draemn

The point of vsync is to match your GPU output to the refresh rate of your monitor. You can get screen tearing ANY time the start and end of a frame from your GPU does not sync with the monitor. So vsync has to work in even multiples of your refresh rate to ensure you are sync'd up. If you are doing 60hz and your frames drop, well it does 30 fps by making each frame display for 2 cycles of the monitor refres (2 hz). If it showed each frame for just 1.5 hz (40 fps), you'd get a screen tear.

Honestly, adaptive sync was so bad for me (when it came out) that I totally forgot about this option in the drivers/control panel and haven't touched it since. How is it these days? In the past, it just didn't reliably do what it was supposed to do and I'd still get screen tearing.

As for the comment about input lag, the technical reason for input lag is that turning on vsync and vsync (triple buffered) requires the GPU to delay outputting frames to sync up with the monitor. Normal vsync isn't as bad for input lag because all it really needs to do is say "make a frame every 1 or 2 cycles... display the last frame if the next one isn't ready" but triple buffered is a whole different beast as it actually makes a frame, stores that, makes another frame, and then decides how fast it can display frames on the monitor. So my understanding is you're always 1 frame behind + wait for next refresh cycle so it can always have 1 in the buffer.

Houdini

The point of vsync is to match your GPU output to the refresh rate of your monitor. You can get screen tearing ANY time the start and end of a frame from your GPU does not sync with the monitor. So vsync has to work in even multiples of your refresh rate to ensure you are sync'd up. If you are doing 60hz and your frames drop, well it does 30 fps by making each frame display for 2 cycles of the monitor refres (2 hz). If it showed each frame for just 1.5 hz (40 fps), you'd get a screen tear.

Honestly, adaptive sync was so bad for me (when it came out) that I totally forgot about this option in the drivers/control panel and haven't touched it since. How is it these days? In the past, it just didn't reliably do what it was supposed to do and I'd still get screen tearing.

As for the comment about input lag, the technical reason for input lag is that turning on vsync and vsync (triple buffered) requires the GPU to delay outputting frames to sync up with the monitor. Normal vsync isn't as bad for input lag because all it really needs to do is say "make a frame every 1 or 2 cycles... display the last frame if the next one isn't ready" but triple buffered is a whole different beast as it actually makes a frame, stores that, makes another frame, and then decides how fast it can display frames on the monitor. So my understanding is you're always 1 frame behind + wait for next refresh cycle so it can always have 1 in the buffer.
gotchu. That's a very technical analysis of it thanks. would rather just play without it and if it's there just live with the consequences fr.

draemn

gotchu. That's a very technical analysis of it thanks. would rather just play without it and if it's there just live with the consequences fr.
The general rule of thumb is you don't need it if your fps are lower than your monitor refresh rate UNLESS you notice screen tearing and want to fix that.

Latest posts