What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Does a gaming headset have any other advantages besides the mic. (READ DESC)

WeaksauceDoggo

I mean, i know a lot of them advertise virtual surround sound, but is it a marketing strategy, or is it actually good? Are there other advantages besides that if the surround sound isnt a marketing strat? Or should i just get headphones. I dont need the microphone.

Mr. Friendly

surround sound on headphones is emulated rubbish...and for the few that attempted it with multiple drivers, is badly implemented. a good headphone known for it's sound stage and imaging will actually give you something very much like surround sound.

the most popular headphone for competitive game play is the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880. they are a bright headphone, so listening to music without a warm DAC and amp, can be fatiguing, but if you want to know who is where and what underwear they're wearing, that's the headphone to get. and for the mic..most add a USB mod-mic or some sort of USB desk mic. oh yeah...it has to be the 600 ohm model, not the 80 ohm or 250 ohm as only the 600 ohm has the high sensitivity you're looking for to get that edge. the Tygr 300 is essentially a 250 ohm DT880 with a mic added...so not exactly the best, but if that's all your budget can afford, go for it.

go check out the gaming section on HiFiGuides.com forum and you'll see. just know that 600 ohms needs a lot of power to drive, so you will need a dedicated headphone amp (a DAC is good, but not necessary) and as mentioned, you want a warm amp, so something like the Monolith Liquid Spark or if you have the budget, the Schiit Asgard 3.

WeaksauceDoggo

surround sound on headphones is emulated rubbish...and for the few that attempted it with multiple drivers, is badly implemented. a good headphone known for it's sound stage and imaging will actually give you something very much like surround sound.

the most popular headphone for competitive game play is the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880. they are a bright headphone, so listening to music without a warm DAC and amp, can be fatiguing, but if you want to know who is where and what underwear they're wearing, that's the headphone to get. and for the mic..most add a USB mod-mic or some sort of USB desk mic. oh yeah...it has to be the 600 ohm model, not the 80 ohm or 250 ohm as only the 600 ohm has the high sensitivity you're looking for to get that edge. the Tygr 300 is essentially a 250 ohm DT880 with a mic added...so not exactly the best, but if that's all your budget can afford, go for it.

go check out the gaming section on HiFiGuides.com forum and you'll see. just know that 600 ohms needs a lot of power to drive, so you will need a dedicated headphone amp (a DAC is good, but not necessary) and as mentioned, you want a warm amp, so something like the Monolith Liquid Spark or if you have the budget, the Schiit Asgard 3.
tysm, i think ill get regular headphones. the dt 880 pro sounds like its rly good, but for me, its to expensive, so, is there a similar cheaper alternative?

WeaksauceDoggo

i also dont need the microphone thank you!

Lysrin

Little late to this one, but if you don't need the microphone, then yes you certainly have more good options just going with headphones. I wouldn't buy for the simulated surround as others have said. A good open set of a headphones or headset makes directional sounds very believable and informative in games with only two speakers. If you don't need the isolation, I would recommend open headphones. I can't see myself ever going back to closed.

If you think you might want an attached microphone some day, I am very pleased with my Sennheisers. But you can always add a standalone mic to any headphones you buy if you don't mind an extra cable in the works.

WeaksauceDoggo

Little late to this one, but if you don't need the microphone, then yes you certainly have more good options just going with headphones. I wouldn't buy for the simulated surround as others have said. A good open set of a headphones or headset makes directional sounds very believable and informative in games with only two speakers. If you don't need the isolation, I would recommend open headphones. I can't see myself ever going back to closed.

If you think you might want an attached microphone some day, I am very pleased with my Sennheisers. But you can always add a standalone mic to any headphones you buy if you don't mind an extra cable in the works.
yeah, like i said, i dont need the mic, thx for your help!

Latest posts

Twitter