What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Does the ASUS DGX output 5.1 SPDIF signal?

JayDeeHobbit

Reading the review below there is the following line and I don't know what it means:
"The Xonar DGX can't encode digital bitstreams on the fly, limiting multi-channel digital output to pre-encoded tracks"
and...
"The Xonar DGX might not be able to encode digital bitstreams in real-time, but it can virtualize multi-channel speaker setups using Dolby Headphone software incorporated in the drivers".
http://techreport.com/review/23358/asus-budget-xonar-dgx-and-dsx-sound-cards-reviewed/2

So I read that to say that it does some kinda processing to imitate 5.1 on regular stereo headphones but I don't really care about that. What I am wondering is if it does or doesn't pass a 5.1 signal to my amplifier via it's SPDIF optical output.

I have a order for one of these and I wanted headphone amp AND 5.1 optical output. Might be too late to change my order but if it doesn't output 5.1 via the SPDIF I'm going to try to change the order to a higher end Xonar.

It's the word "encoding" that confuses me. If I have an MKV movie that has a 5.1 audio track on it does the DGX need to "encode" it to pass that 5.1 signal to my amp (if so it seems the DGX can't do it) or does that 5.1 signal just get passed to my amp via the SPDIF optical output and I get surround?

Last edited:

b1lk1

SPDIF is always a passthrough, that is the whole point of it. It allows you to use a good DAC instead of the on on the card, although most soundcards have better DACs than most sub $1000 amp/speaker systems.

So yes, it will pass through 5.1 if the source is 5.1.

Sure wish we had more emphasis on sound around here, it seems to be a very neglected subject as of late.

JayDeeHobbit

Thanks b1lk1.

I hope to get my new rig Friday with the DGX and I hope I can get 5.1 out of it.

I might have a problem with my home theatre amp then. I'm using optical output from my motherboard and while I set the amp to AC3 it only ouputs in stereo.

An old (but good) amp so I hope the problem is with my Gigabyte Assassin mobo and that the DGX will output 5.1

Edit: When I go into the sound options for my mobo it only offers me 2 channel stereo output formats. Perhaps that is why my amp can't detect a 5.1 source and only plays in stereo from the optical output of a MKV (for example) file that is using the 5.1 output channel.

Perhaps the DGX will permit me more outup options like "passthru" or something of that nature that will permit the full signal to reach the amp... Will find out soon enough.

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

SPDIF is always a passthrough, that is the whole point of it. It allows you to use a good DAC instead of the on on the card, although most soundcards have better DACs than most sub $1000 amp/speaker systems.

So yes, it will pass through 5.1 if the source is 5.1.

Sure wish we had more emphasis on sound around here, it seems to be a very neglected subject as of late.

To most people sound isn't a problem, if it plays fine, then it's fine. After all, all mobos have HD audio chips onboard now... unless of course you have rubbish speakers then we can talk :p

JayDeeHobbit

I got my new PC a couple weeks ago so I thought I'd update this.

I did get the DGX and... Awesome!

I love this card and I found what I've been missing in PC sound all these years.

What I wanted was 5.1 through my Home Theatre and I didn't know if the DGX would provide that or not and that was my reason for starting this thread.

Once I had the DGX I used "pass thru" mode to pass a raw 5.1 signal from my PC to my amp via SPDIF optical and it works great. What has really impressed me is the quality of the audio though. It's not HiFidelity but it's light years ahead of what I had before.

So I've been very happy with my DGX... I still don't understand all the jargon (like what the heck "5.1 encoding" means) but I've managed to get a huge improvement in my audio quality and I'll take that. :thumb:

enaberif

I got my new PC a couple weeks ago so I thought I'd update this.

I did get the DGX and... Awesome!

I love this card and I found what I've been missing in PC sound all these years.

What I wanted was 5.1 through my Home Theatre and I didn't know if the DGX would provide that or not and that was my reason for starting this thread.

Once I had the DGX I used "pass thru" mode to pass a raw 5.1 signal from my PC to my amp via SPDIF optical and it works great. What has really impressed me is the quality of the audio though. It's not HiFidelity but it's light years ahead of what I had before.

So I've been very happy with my DGX... I still don't understand all the jargon (like what the heck "5.1 encoding" means) but I've managed to get a huge improvement in my audio quality and I'll take that. :thumb:

Audio tracks come in various different states.

Mono, Stereo and then you technically have Multi-Channel which falls in the Dolby Category.

Mono is 1 channel only and nothing else.
Stereo will allow the use of 2 channels
Multi-Channel can vary from 2.1 up to I think 11.1 now I forget.

Multi-Channel means that an audio source was encoded in such a way that certain tracks are played to certain speakers to give the listener a "surround" sound.

nasrott

Suround is usually a mix of the left and right then feed with a delay of ms into those channels.

Speakers years ago were just one speaker marketing started the stereo to sell 2 speakers and the way it all went. Now more speakers can produce a better sound field in a bigger space. Is why you see so many speakers in a theater along the wall. Done properly the waves need too stop and not keep bouncing all over the place, sound absorbing panels they use also the make the room deader. People can only here in analogue. Digital saves space in recording because it masks other sounds and therefor the other sounds aren't needed so the debate goes. Albums are still around today for a reason because the whole track was still recording and the missing ie: digital sound seemed to take to much out and lost some of the musics ambiance. People have been arguaring over this for years now. Still on going. Now you have FLAC in digital which is true to a copy in digital form so no loss. Then this sound needs to be converted back to analogue for use to here DAC's ... Then amped to freak the neighbors out.... Or the wife not stab ya in your sleep.. Hense headphones... lol

Last edited:

Latest posts