What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DOS gaming, o the good ol' days....

sswilson

Staff member
I'll add the Wizardry series to this list of oldies, but goodies.

Not only did you have to get the rotational speed right, but getting lined up square to the station was also a pain. That was back in the days of trim on joysticks, so adjusting that on the right axis really helped with the rotation.

RPGs: Wizardry series, Might and Magic, Bard's tale, Ultima.

Nobody has mentioned Wolfenstein... probably the first full fledged FPS.

Source port - The Doom Wiki - Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, and more

;)

But yeah.... back in the day when dying in a game actually had consequences (somebody had to make it down to get your body, and you lost constitution points when/if you were resurrected), and you had to map the dungeon yourself.... ;)

What was the final big spell??? Tiltowait or something like that?

edit: I also remember playing Akalabeth, and remember getting it on cassette in a plastic baggy (at the Radio Shack in Courtney BC), but there's no reference for a CoCo version which is what I would have been running at the time.

Last edited:

ToxicStorm

Sorry about that, sswilson, read right over it while looking at 'Bard's Tale', which is one I never played before the absolutely dreadful PS2 version.

sswilson

Staff member
They had bards tale PS2???? Considering the game would have already been 10 - 15 yrs old, it's not surprising that it sucked.... ;)

krajee

One of my top 5 RPG's of all time. Last time I tried playing it it would lock up constantly though.
In chapters 4 and 5? Lazyman's fix for that would be to turn off the sound...also bookmark before clicking anything..haha.

Photograph

Not quite DOS but... :p
Wheel of Fortune knockoff!

Also Shufflepuck but I do not have a screenie of it atm.

I too played a lot of Shufflepuck on my old Mac SE:
nerual.gif

The game I miss the most is Dark Castle, that game kicked major ass and I only beat it once:

picture-2.png

Dark_Castle_-_Trouble_3.png

ToxicStorm

Yah, PS2, and I believe Xbox as well. It came out for computer afterward, but it was so dreadful on PS2 I never bothered to even try the PC version.

They had bards tale PS2???? Considering the game would have already been 10 - 15 yrs old, it's not surprising that it sucked.... ;)

AkG

Can't believe no one has mentioned ROTT. Rise of the Triads!!! First game to introduce two gun mojo with dual pistol shooting fun. :)

Man I loved all those games back then...even if it meant doing custom autoexec.bat's to make sure there was enough of the 640K free to run them.

Latest posts