What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dragon Hotend Mount for Ender 5 [V2] WIP

danmitch1

So ive desided that I have to remake my aluminum mount that sugarj kindly CNC'd for me (sorry man, i fkd up the design so much that I cant figure out a good way of getting an extruder on it).

Im actually starting to like fusion 360 alot and have designed this for use with an orbiter extruder. Now to get some aluminum to cnc and order the orbiter :D
DRAGON MOUNT FOR CNC v2.png
sketch.png
orbiter.png

Im going to 3d print a spacer to go between the extruder and hotend mount.

*Side note, the renderer in fusion 360 uses some heavy AVX instructions, it blue screened my pc. I had a 5g oc on all cores going on my 9900k for the longest time that was cinebench r20 stable with AVX.. it also never crashed in several AAA games or generated WHEA errors for 2+ years.. I just set everything back to stock... Anyway, perhaps this is another OC tool that wont toast your pc like prime95 but has a bit more of an edge than cinebench r20..

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
No worries. I find that milling small holes doesn't work that well on hobby CNCs, I'd suggest using a v-bit or a punch to make a mark then drill them instead. And I don't know if you found some 1/2" stock, but I know I've got some 1/2" x 3" bar stock somewhere in the shop. I could probably be talked into cutting you a piece if you're not in a hurry.

danmitch1

No worries. I find that milling small holes doesn't work that well on hobby CNCs, I'd suggest using a v-bit or a punch to make a mark then drill them instead. And I don't know if you found some 1/2" stock, but I know I've got some 1/2" x 3" bar stock somewhere in the shop. I could probably be talked into cutting you a piece if you're not in a hurry.
I have to reiterate though, I really do appreciate your EXTREEMLY kind and generous efforts man, I owe ya, hit me up anytime!

I actually searched high and low locally for a metal shop that might have cutoffs without any success, a guy 1.5 hours away by public transport wanted 50$ shipped, 1 piece of 6"x10" half inch... I posted a wanted add on kijiji, no answers... So, I ended up buying a chunk from that grainger site.. also not a great price 33$ shipped for a 1'x3"x.5" 6061 lol... Im also really close to buying this, but man, it hurts seeing these prices for such small quantities:
quote.png

Good tip for the drilling, I have regular bits that will do the job but I dont think the bits I bought for the cnc will cut it (no pun intended LOL)
So ill do as you suggest and cut a little divot to mark them and drill them out my self afterward.

Let me know what I could pay you for the chunk of aluminum, the more the merrier!

And while I have your attention, im seeing alot of videos showing that you need a compressor with an oil mist setup to clear chips, lube and cool the bit when milling aluminum. Also seeing people say that a 20k rmp spindle is essential. I have a spindle in my cart thats pretty cheap ~30$ but im going to see what I get with the stock 10k one first, im also going to try milling the aluminum without the compressor and oil mist but just go real real slow and see what happens.. maybe add a few drops of oil and sweep away the chips manually as it mills.. what do you think?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I've used WD-40 as lubricant before, but I've found a stream of compressed air works better. Keeps the chips away and cools the bit too. No oil mist, just air.

danmitch1

I've used WD-40 as lubricant before, but I've found a stream of compressed air works better. Keeps the chips away and cools the bit too. No oil mist, just air.
Ahh thats good news as an oil mist will really need an enclosure. Im looking at getting a small California tools compressor supposed to be super quiet for 130$!
out of stock at amazon but can order from home depot for the same price.

oh, and what do you think about the spindle? will I get away with the 10k rpm?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yes, 10k rpm should be fine I think. From my research, most routers spin too fast to properly cut aluminum as they create dust rather than shavings. There's a whole science to getting the maximum cut efficiency. As I recall I ran about 8000 rpm with a 3/16" bit on the piece I made for you.

I'd be pretty impressed if that compressor is only 56 db, the little Mastercraft one I have is bloody loud. You'll probably want a mist coolant adapter anyways, to direct the air and reduce the flow of air so your compressor can keep up. Like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Coolant-Cooling-Sprayer-Engraving-Machine/dp/B07LH5YPR6/

danmitch1

Yes, 10k rpm should be fine I think. From my research, most routers spin too fast to properly cut aluminum as they create dust rather than shavings. There's a whole science to getting the maximum cut efficiency. As I recall I ran about 8000 rpm with a 3/16" bit on the piece I made for you.

I'd be pretty impressed if that compressor is only 56 db, the little Mastercraft one I have is bloody loud. You'll probably want a mist coolant adapter anyways, to direct the air and reduce the flow of air so your compressor can keep up. Like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Coolant-Cooling-Sprayer-Engraving-Machine/dp/B07LH5YPR6/
Ok great, ill just have to jump into it! Yeah, i figure ill pick up one of those devices anyway, ill probably down the line make an enclosure to cut down the noise anyway and contain the dust and oil... I have no clue if that thing is that quiet, the last mastercraft one I had was ridiculously loud and made no sense to own in an apartment setting lol...