What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Driver issue or GPU dying

moocow

Recently updated to 12.1 then 12.2 drivers from AMD and notice this in Civ 5:

Don't exactly know what's going on.

sswilson

Staff member
The pic is kinda small, what's the problem? The only thing I can see is that it's set to display hex squares rather than the standard map.

moocow

The grey part is suppose to be clouds, which are suppose to be fluffy and white-ish. It also start to turn red & brown and start to flicker. The problem seem to be confined to Civ 5 only as World of Tank would seem to operate fine. I double check the game cache via Steam and it had to re-acquire some files all the time.

Dragonstongue

same ? I always ask, did you uninstall drivers, use driver sweeper, ccleaner to clean out remaning crud, reinstall drivers, if not, it might be worth doing. I have noticed a hair of texture/flickering issues with cat 12.2 in killing floor and a bit in bf3, but the performance is there, and that I like :)

moocow

I did reinstall the driver via the uninstall manager but not using driver sweeper and ccleaner. Going to do that now and see if there's improvements. Oddly enough, once I re-acquired those corrupted game files via Steam, the problem goes away but comes back later.

** Driver Sweeper is dead, another suggestion?

clshades

I'm not really sure why you need to use driver sweeper considering the vid driver files are being completely over written with files using the EXACT same name. I have never used a sweeper program and I have never had issues updating drivers. The only time this would even be an issue is if you were changing vid cards to another brand or a another new version. If its the same vid card sweeping files isn't nessicary.

I would say you should roll back to the old driver just to double check that it isn't a dying GPU 1st. Save you the time of re-installing the game. IF the game responds the same you'll answer a couple trouble shooting questions.

Corrupted game files is obviously something you need to deal with.

techman95

so do you play bf3? and if you do do you have similar issues? b/c since updating to 12.2 i cant stay in a game for more than 30 sec and i have weird things like this happen as well so might fall back to 12.1 what a pita.:blarg:

moocow

No I don't own BF3 so I can't say exactly if it's the driver or the GPU. After all I'm using an old 4850.

moocow

OK I rolled back the driver and tried the latest one for 4850 and now I'm getting computer lock up and "driver crash" error in CIV5. The temp is 68C, is that too hot?

Latest posts