What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DRM thought.

tzetsin

I've got a fella here who wants some old LPs transfered to cd. He asked me to find him a machine that he could buy that would help him copy his lp from his player to a computer to burn to cd.

This fella knows absolutely nothing about computers or the internet, so i told him that it would be easier just to buy the cd online, or just the songs he wanted from the lp from an online mp3 vendor. He was very excited and asked me to do it for him. Not like go to his house and help him, he wanted ME to buy the music and sell it to him. On a cd.

So i got to thinking.... whats the legality here? If i buy a cd, from bestbuy, and take it to him and he pays me back, i KNOW that is perfectly legal. However, the riaa being the greedy bastards that they are, have mangled the laws up so bad that i have to ask....

If i was to buy online from say ITUNES, the music that he wanted, converted it to MP3 because i hate apple and would never leave it in their proprietary bullsh1t format, burnt it to a cd and sold hit to him, with a reciept, and deleted it off my computer, would there be any earthshaking laws broken?? Also, if for some strange reason he was ever questioned as to the legality of the mp3, because he doesnt have a hard copy (other than the cd i burnt) would my reciept protect him?

tzetsin

heh, just read the itunes store terms and conditions. 4 reasons why i wont be using itunes store...

#1 - "The products made available through the service are licensed, not sold to you. Your license to each product that you obtain through the service is subject to your prior acceptance of this licensed application end user license agreement and you agree that the terms of this licensed application end user license agreement will apply to each product that you LICENSE through the service..."
#2 - "Governing law. The laws of the State of California, excluding its conflicts of law rules, govern these terms of service and your use of the service. Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national or international laws. You expressly agree that the exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or dispute with apple or relating in any way to your use of the service resides in the courts of the State of California." (even though all through the ToS it expressly states that the use of the itunes store is for CANADIAN RESIDENTS ONLY.) as quoted from the itunes store ToS.
#3 - Apple has encoded the product (and it says so in the ToS) with proprietary technology that will make the product usable only on the apple products.
#4 - They charge you more for DRM free music, (that may still only work on apple equipment.)
#5 - I hate apple and everything it represents.

oops sorry thats 5 reasons... but not really cause # 5 is just common sense.

Perineum

If he owns all the music on LP then just pirate the music any way you see fit. Screw the legality of it. He bought and owns the music so if he has it in a different format then ultimately you've just sped up what he could have done in a much slower way.

And yeah, Apple and Sony have always been on my shit list.

yamawho

If you have to stop and think, it's probably not legal.

If you haven't thought of it yet ... that's probably not legal either :ph34r:

Jon_di2

I've got a fella here who wants some old LPs transfered to cd. He asked me to find him a machine that he could buy that would help him copy his lp from his player to a computer to burn to cd.

I saw a machine that does that at circuit city, I say if they sell the machine its legal :thumb:

Cheator

I saw a machine that does that at circuit city, I say if they sell the machine its legal :thumb:
Its within the digital privacy act that we can backup our media and do with it as we please, as long as we don't share it. Hes also covered if he downloads the music, as long as he doesn't share it.

JD

Staff member
I think the part where it becomes illegal is ripping the iTunes songs into MP3. Doesn't that involve illegal software to strip the DRM?

However, can't you just burn a CD from within iTunes? If that's the case then, I wouldn't say you were breaking their DRM and you could give him the CD. His payment would be to cover your costs, not the cost of the songs. And if you must give him a receipt, which is odd, just say it was $20 or whatever for your time and cost of the disc, not for the songs themselves.

TBH though, unless you've been arrested and are now under constant watch, I wouldn't worry at all. People do worse everyday, download it for free via torrents, burn it, shove it on their iPod, send it to their friends, etc.

Arinoth

Staff member

When i worked at best buy we had something like that, i just need to find it on their website so the OP gets an idea of what it looks like/what it does/features

Edit: Found it Computers: Software: Honest Tech Audio Recorder Deluxe | Best Buy Canada Web Store
10111671.jpg

And here is the manufacturer's website: Honest Technology | Multimedia Software Company

Hope this helps

Last edited: