What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual Core Gaming Woes

mattydies

I finally have my computer running properly (fresh windows, new upgraded power supply, good drives, everything seems to behave...).

I tossed in Command and Conquer Generals and I set everything to full blast. I have never ran this game so beautifully and smoothly. I know this is nothing special, but it is a nice change for me and my computer :biggrin:

I Installed Scarface (The Game) only to find it Laggy :sad: . I determined scarface is only utilizing one Core in my CPU - Pentium D 920 (2.8 GHz.)

I tried Google for a bit but was unable to find a solution (for this game or others.)

Is there a way to fix this Issue I am having?

I checked the sierra website but no sign of a patch :(

Any Suggestions or Advice?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

lowfat

Staff member
Sorry, but about 99% of the games out where will only use one core. FEAR, SupCom, Quake 4, are almost all the games out there that do.

Patriote

Yeaha nd even there, those games don't take much of the second core. Thats why ppls says that Quad cores aren't anything good (yet) for games.

belgolas

guy at crysis said the game will be able to use all four cores but a dual core would be fine so that is one and so far the only game that will actually use a quad core.

Delavan

I don't know if the Microsoft's dual-core hotfix would help in this case, maybe?

Patriote

I don't know if the Microsoft's dual-core hotfix would help in this case, maybe?
Negative. It's not even an official patch if i remember right and it screwed things up even more when i installed it when Dual core Processors were first out. I had an X2 4800+ in that time.

Jmac

MS recommends you use AMD's dual core optimizer for AMD CPUs, IIRC.

Anyways, don't expect a huge boost in performance for most games as most games are still single-threaded applications.

reaverclan

those games somtimes support it but u have to tweak thier config/ini ext. files to make it use your dual core, quake i tweaked and evrything is on ultrahigh with my x1950 pro(agp) with 135fps

Twitter