What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual CPU Thread

Remoth

I was going to get a skulltrail system with dual QX9770's, a guy was gonna sell me them, the motherboard, 8GB of ram and a GTX 280 for $1300. Awesome deal, but the motherboard was broken of our own accord, so I didnt get it. I then switched to my i7 system. here's my mobo, ram and heatsinks of the skulltrail system....

would have been able to render 3D stuff fast as hell though.... damn..

Attachments

MarshallX

what did you do to break it? i was looking at getting one of those when i retired my first 771 xeons but never ended up getting one.

Remoth

well, as we were working on it, something broke a chip on the board. he knows someone that may be able to fix it, but I couldnt wait that long, lol.

bissa

hey remoth, what kind of MoBo was that? also are there any dual LGA1366 or LGA1156 MoBos that are capable of handling one or more gaming GPUs? I ma trying to find them but whatever I search I get dual core CPUs.

ayah

hey remoth, what kind of MoBo was that? also are there any dual LGA1366 or LGA1156 MoBos that are capable of handling one or more gaming GPUs? I ma trying to find them but whatever I search I get dual core CPUs.
There's no such thing as a dual LGA1156, and dual 1366 will be dual Xeon boards primarily.

Last edited:

Remoth

the motherboard was a skulltrail mobo. its the D5400XS intel mobo, paired with dual Core 2 Extreme QX9775's. A monster of a system. A friend of mine has this system watercooled with triple SSD Raid, and a GTX 280. I asked him for a picture of it, so I may post a pic of his soon.

dinder

If I tape a Celeron to my case does it make mine Dual CPU? If so, I can post some pics. My dream machine right now though, is a Supermicro 6015TW-INFB, with four 3.0GHZ Quads, 32GB RAM, and dual 1TB SATA's. Maybe even grab an Adaptec SAN too....ouuu, 12 more drives...rack mountable....mmmmmm
Hahaha that made me laugh.

I don't have a dual CPU, how much does a motherboard for those cost? And what type of power supply does it need?

Jim Johnstone

I don't have any pics of my setup right now, but I might see if I can grab a few. I'm actually looking to retire this setup soon, and build two new single socket systems, rather than trying to use this for double duty.

Keep in mind I built this system 3 or 4 years ago now:

Thermaltake Armour case
OCZ Powerstream 520 PSU
Tyan Thunder K8WE, dual socket 940 motherboard
Dual AMD Opteron 290's (dual core 2.8 Ghz)
4 x 1 gigs of DDR-400 ECC Ram
2 x 250 Gb WD 7200 RPM Sata II HDD's
9600gt SLI

Very fast smooth computer for 3D CAD design when I built it. Still reasonable, but can very easily be eclipsed for CAD work with current technology for a LOT less money. So I will be selling this system off soon, and starting new.

Jim

m1dget

I know it's dual cpu thread... but here's a nice IBM Netfinity with 4 x 550MHz xeon, 8 x 256MB, 2 x 400W power supply, 2 x 20GB and 2 x 30GB SCSI hard drives and 4 x 10/100mbps nics. :bleh:

It's currently running FreeBSD 8.0 and serves as my compiling server when I need to compile big software and I don't want to clog my main rig.

It's old technology but it's still plenty fast when compiling or screwing around with multithreaded application... and it didn't cost me a dime so I'm not complaining :bleh:

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter