What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual CPU Thread

Remoth

here are some pictures I promised quite a while ago. Its a friend of mine's rig. A Skulltrail system with dual QX9775's, a D5400XS intel mobo, Triple intel SSD in Raid, watercooled power supply, Slot loading optical drives on the front, an LCD screen on the case, interior Light when the case door is off, Most components are water-cooled.

Attachments

MarshallX

Quad cpu's are allowed too, just not single, dual or quad core single cpu's, they arent as exciting. What we really need is someone with 8 cpu's or some itaniums haha.

More pictures of my new addition. And my network and house for it all.
First 3 are of the machine named Aberdeen, dual 275 Dual core opteron's with 6GB of ram, 2x40GB IDE for OS (win2k3 ent x64) software raid 1, 5x500GB WD disks in hardware RAID 5 array via LSI MegaRaid 300-8x. It hosts an nfs mount for my ESX machine (the 3U in the rack) as well as user profiles. Also a part of my folding team.

The next is the router (Cisco 3725) and switch (2948G) that connect everyone. After that, its the 3U ESX server (Providence) which is pretty much what it was at the start of this page except with a new Adaptec 16 port raid controller runing 4 1TB disks in RAID 6 for ESX server. Below that is Exeter, which has dual 3.06 Xeon cpu's 2GB ram, nothing special. Just used for remote management when Im away. Next is the 2 access points ( Aironet 1242 AG and Aironet 1231G ). One is production while the other is used for testing. And last, the new house for them all to hang out in.

Eventually id like to get Aberdeen stuffed in there, but the chassis is another $600 and well, the most limiting factor is the circuit this is all on, wont hold much more.

Attachments

Remoth

Might be a noobish question, but do you need a server power supply for a dual xeon rig? or would a Corsair 850 or so work perfectly? I was thinking the server builds needed some special power connections or something....

lowfat

Staff member
Might be a noobish question, but do you need a server power supply for a dual xeon rig? or would a Corsair 850 or so work perfectly? I was thinking the server builds needed some special power connections or something....
As long as it has 2 8-pin 12V connectors and you don't put in a ton of video cards you'll be fine.

MarshallX

Where does the orange fibre go to? :) I'm more interested in the network side of it all. I'm running a 2950G-24 at home, no fibre for me.
The fiber goes over to Aberdeen (the dual opteron) its across the house and i need a gigabit connection and didnt want to use Cat 5e or 6 when i had a long line of fiber just sitting around. It host the NFS mount for ESX and user profiles and user data.

BrainEater

I just got this today :

---

Dual Intel Pentium 3 'katmai' 600's (SL3JT)..... Onboard SCSI , looks like a 440GX chipset.....

I've gotta do more research on this sucker.I think I might have to set this thing up.Pretty cool considering it was free.

:thumb:

MarshallX

nice, i love seeing the oldies too. just sucks that a lof of dual cpu oldies tend to be proprietary.

CraigRT

It's too bad I can't find any pics but I used to think dual dedicated CPUs was the coolest thing in the hardware world back in the day.

I eventually got myself dual MP1800+ Athlons and an MSI K7D Master motherboard which ran great and was stable, but performance really sucked for gaming and I abandoned it after only a few months for a Barton.

I'd still love another dual CPU setup someday... They're bitchin'.

Latest posts

Twitter