What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual Nic PCIe card for PFsense on an older intel board?

sswilson

Staff member
Just starting on the new hardware install (still waiting on the memory, but I'm sure it'll pick it up when it's installed, and I very much doubt I'd need more than the default 8GB swap file).

One thing I did discover is that they have an "American/Moncton" time zone selection. Not sure what the "atlantic" selections are, but at the very least (even if they are AST) doubt they have the same DST dates.

Basic install is pretty damn quick once you've got the boot USB created, although I'll have to wait to do the updates as I'm doing some printing and don't want to take a chance on mucking those jobs up when/if the router needs to reboot.

sswilson

Staff member
Head's up for anybody who tries the third party unifi controller install.... ignore the instructions to use port 8080 for the initial setup.... stick with :8443. The initial setup kept spitting out a "incorrect username or password" error on "finish" in spite of accepting my creds early on. Using :8443 made that go away.

It also accepted a backup from my v1 cloudkey without any issue, but the router itself had to be rebooted to install it.

sswilson

Staff member
And now upgraded to 16GB without any apparent issues.

So far I've got ZenArmor (os-sensei), os-Smart, os-speedtest plugins from the basic and sunnyvalley repositories, and then os-unifi7-maxit from the mimugmail (community) repository. The only main one left to install/enable is the os-adguardhome-maxit from the mimugmail (community) repository.

sswilson

Staff member
I've got the adguard plugin installed (and can access the setup via port 3000) but haven't taken the time to properly set it up yet. Hoping that this guide will do the trick...

sswilson

Staff member
Info for anybody who cares.....

The "community plugin" unifi network controller version doesn't appear to update from within the controller software (IIRC the cloud key didn't either unless you logged into the key itself instead of the network controller dashboard) but it does appear to be updated along with the other plugins when/if the version is updated on the repository.

sswilson

Staff member
Just a quick revisit of this WRT the Cloudkey plugin.....

I remember somebody commenting on not being able to get a cloudkey working on their opnsense/PFSense box, but the latest third party (community driven) plugin has been solid since I got it running. The only downside is that cloudkey firmware updates can't be done from within the software, you have to wait for the dev to do it and he seems to lag about 2 weeks behind the cloudkey claiming that an update is available. (Not necessarily a bad thing to wait for the dust to settle anyways... :) ). Updates to connected devices are not affected and work as advertised.

Latest posts