What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual Processor

Shredder

Hi,
I have a couple of questions before ordering a new build

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is it possible to run the [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB Processor OEM[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]on the [/FONT]
ASUS Z8PE-D18(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 and 5600 Series Server Motherboard ?

This seems to be a price gouge right now at a popular Canadian online store :
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INTEL XEON PROCESSOR X5680 6C 3.33G 12MB CACHE 1333MHZ 130W [/FONT]

and the second question is will this ram
Kingston 2GB 1X2GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL9 ECC be a fair choice for the cpu/motherboard combination ?

AmuseMe

I am 90% sure you can not run duel X980's on that motherboard. I thought the same about the EVGA SR-1 - these are serverboards. The Xeons are the only ones that work. As for RAM, that would be fine, but if your spening that kind of money on a motherboard, and another $1000 on a CPU, get some 1600MHZ at the least. Just my 2c.

Arinoth

Staff member
You cannot run non-xeon processors on xeon motherboards and vice versa.

Shredder

Looks like Im going to have to re-negotiate terms with the Mrs. or curb my FAH requirments, thanks for the info.

_dangtx_

Banned
from your siggie, you already have to good systems. maybe go for a cheap asus+3440 for 4-500$ ? :) clock it to 4 gigs or so on a nice 212+

Arinoth

Staff member
I believe he was hoping to move into the big adv work unit folding as it is exponentially superior to cpu folding and most gpu folding as it produces the most ppd for the amount of wattage it uses.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
No i7 chips will work in any multiprocessor board. They only have a single QPI link. To run multiprocessor you need 2 QPI links, 1 to talk to the mobo, and 1 to talk to the other processors.

Shredder

Im looking for the 6 core dual processor for overclocking and to water cool as a project, Arinoth hit it on the head, big advantage. The board can crunch and will support a couple of 5870's. This will be the last machine for the house so I wanted a true server and to have fun with it.

jcmaz

I don't really understand. Why don't you spend the budget for a dual processor system for 2-3 AMD Phenom X6 systems?

Food for thought

Arinoth

Staff member
To my knowledge they cannot do big adv work units. They are clocked too slow and dont have enough cores (seeing as i7 1336s start with 8 threads) to be able to complain a big adv wu in time to get the bonus

Latest posts