What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual router issues

bignick277

And in order to do that generally, they would need to disable the function altogether via a firmware update on your home router to begin with. So you wouldn't be able to find a port forwarding function, let alone actually set up forwards.
(For community information update)

Unfortunately, that's exactly what they've done in this case. There is a port forwarding page, but they have actually disabled the function preventing you from setting up port forwards. Which means, we can't use his asus router as an extended switch, because we would still need to forward ports via the arris router in that setup as well. And because his connection into the house is via coax and the tv box only accepts coax for incoming connections, there's now way to make his asus router the primary router without making his Tv box unusable. Not a good situation at all. His options now are basically either get rid of the Tv and use a traditional cable modem and then use his asus router, DMZ his server (which is never recommended), or use a vpn service to make his server publicly visible. Unbelievable, I can't believe they actually disabled port forwarding on the router. First time I've actually seen it done. I hate it when I'm both right and wrong at the same time. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful shadowarez. Hope you manage to find a way to get it working in a way you're happy with.

clshades

He will never get dual routers to work if he can't access port forwarding on the ISP modem/router. I would be finding a different ISP.

Shadowarez

no problem we tried every possible angle and its on the isp for doing it this way. i learned alot of new avenues to try so wasnt a complete loss i learned alot and thats never bad thing, only isp in this city is them and CRTC will not stop the Monopoly they have so only option is to move to Edmonton. or any city outa the N.T.

sf101

can you not ask your ISP to disable the router on their side and simply run it as a modem? That's what I did with my shaw ISP.
This is what you need to do.

it will have problems otherwise, With these Router/modems they get the configuration from when they boot up (received from ISP).
They can turn it off or on Router wise and just make it a modem. or send you the alternative box which is similar but just a modem.

bignick277

This is what you need to do.

it will have problems otherwise, With these Router/modems they get the configuration from when they boot up (received from ISP).
They can turn it off or on Router wise and just make it a modem. or send you the alternative box which is similar but just a modem.

The problem he runs into is he has PulseTv, which is a form of IPTv. So his Tv box is also his router/modem all-in-one rather than a separate Tv box and router. These types of devices tend to be very proprietary with limited options, making it very difficult to get the functionality he needs without giving up his Tv service altogether and going back to a broadband only router. If his ISP hadn't blocked the port forwarding function via the routers firmware, this wouldn't be an issue. But as it stands, because if these issues, his options have been pretty badly limited.