What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dual router issues

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah why iv had to try it I'll tinker with it more se if I can knock out 1 DMZ but doubt it for a compy who made 2-3 million a year ago to one making 35-50 million think they'd upgrade there network a lil bit.

clshades

Sounds pretty annoying to me man. Lol. Luckily shaw will still turn their modem/wireless router into just a modem. Funny enough on 3 sperate occasions some idiot at shaw took it upon himself to turn it back into a router which resulted in my calling them to reset to modem.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
That's annoying lol I will see if I can ditch this arris pulse TV junk and still get there 150mb down 10 mb up internet. If not I'll ask if theyll support buying my own docsis modem since there pulse junk don't even allow port forwarding.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Just hope this company allows it I'll call em Monday start looking at which places sell cable modems.

bignick277

Hey Shadowarez, if you want help with this, I can help. You should not need to buy another router. It's very rare for that to be necessary. I also run multiple routers in my home. 3 to be exact. One router setup in modem (aka bridged) mode. A main router. And a third router in another room with disabled dhcp acting as an extended switch and wifi access point at the furthest end of my home. As you can tell, I have a good deal of experience with this kind of thing and I think I should be able to help you, but this (as you've noticed already) can be complicated so I need to be able ask you questions on the fly about your setup, how it's used for your household, what connects where, router model numbers (so I can reference their configuration page layouts via their manuals online) etc so I can advise you of the best possible configuration setup. You've made several vague references that make giving you straight answer infeasible without more solid information, hence why I'm suggesting that we speak. I can talk to you via skype or steam, whichever you prefer. Please PM me if your interested and we'll arrange to sit down and try to get this sorted out for you. Obviously for the benefit of this community in case someone else has a similar problem in the future, if we resolve your issue, I would recommend you write up how we fixed your issue here after it's working properly.

KaptCrunch

most of issue is ISP not allowing bridged mode on their firmware, your on the right track nick

A bridge reads a frame's destination address and decides to either forward or filter. If the bridge determines that the destination node is on another segment on the network, it forwards (retransmits) the frame to that segment. If the destination address belongs to the same segment as the source address, the bridge filters (discards) the frame. As nodes transmit data through the bridge, the bridge establishes a filtering database of known MAC addresses and their locations on the network. The bridge uses its filtering database to determine whether a packet should be forwarded or filtered.

ISP see's unknown MAC then stops bridge after nodes scans of network

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
As it stands the junk arris modem/router combo sees my other router as 192.168.0.8 both are set dhcp thing is the arris router refuses to get into bridged mode followed the YouTube like all it did was cause me to hard reset through TV to get it to even allow me back in to change anything so I'm thinking they (ISP) intensionally crippled features on there pulse box(modem/router)

bignick277

In my experience, that's never been the case. ISP's can't generally block port forwarding. They can generally block certain types of traffic (for torrents and such), but they mainly do that by identifying "types" of traffic. Protocols used, behavior analyzation, that sort of thing. But blocking port forwarding... I've never seen a case of that. And in order to do that generally, they would need to disable the function altogether via a firmware update on your home router to begin with. So you wouldn't be able to find a port forwarding function, let alone actually set up forwards. This would also be extremely stupid for them to do in the first place, due to simply how many applications (perfectly legal applications at that) require it in order to function properly. I think this is down to getting your router(s) configured properly, which can be difficult and confusing as all hell if you don't have the underlying experience and knowledge to know exactly what you're doing.

I've sent you a steam invite now. But it will be a few hours before I can help. I have an appointment I have to be at in an hour and a half, but should be able to help when I get back. I shouldn't be longer than a few hours (3 or less most likely). I'm in Scotland, so if your central time, I'm 6 hours ahead of you.