What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Dual Xeon build

hlidskialf

Well, it's EATX compatible but there's a nice little * on that factor limiting the size. It might not fit. That being the result, this case is beautiful enough to mod with some kind of motherboard-tray-hooliganism or something. (I'll make ti work. :thumb: )

I haven't been this excited about a system in a long time. Glad I stumbled on your threads. Now to figure out the software angle...

zoob

This will help highlight the mobo mounting holes SSI-EEB vs. my Coolermaster ATX case. It's possible other cases will have more available mounting holes... one guy claims his Supermicro chassis only missed the one on the top left (near the fan in my pic below).

Yellow = existing
Red = missing

uinmaST.jpg

Also the rear of the Intel motherboard has white circles where you're supposed to attach rubber bumpers (included with an Intel chassis) to help prevent board flexing. I can't find that part separately, so will need to be creative, or just very careful, when mounting this board to any other case.

wcefL52l.jpg

hlidskialf

Cheers for the details! I appreciate you going to the trouble. I'll post how things work out in the end. :canadianwave:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
.... must... resist....

Server #1: dual 6272 with 32Gb ram (tinker base)
Server #2: dual 5506s with 16Gb ram (garage rig, with Cad software).

This would be server #3... which I could swap in the Intel Server #2 case... hmmm...

Dammit.

zoob

One thing to note is this is mean to be a server board, and all slots are max 8X electrical even if it's 16x physical. Plus you need an older BIOS 1.06.0001 max (apparently) for PCI-E 3.0 on Sandy Bridge (V1) CPUs. Newer BIOS defaults to 2.0 and have white-listed cards for 3.0.

On this S2600CP2 blue slots have open ends (with the retention clips sitting out there alone), black slots have closed ends.

Gigabyte GA-7PESH* would be better suited for a workstation.

zoob

RMM4Lite installed and using IPKVM to install ESXi. Mounted the ISO through the virtual interface. A little slow though, would have been better to write it to another stick.

zuyYoao.png

hlidskialf

Nice stuff there. ;)

Question for those that have done some research. Having made this jump I'm planning on having several VM to several points in the house. Is there a cheap/easy hub of some kind that will take the ethernet signal and convert it into a hdmi/usb end point? That way I can just hook up a monitor and keyboard/mouse and have the family use it as a regular computer. Or do I need to go with a thin-client of somekind? Anyone know the cheapest version out there that would work?

I'm still waiting on my board to ship, might as well make some plans in the meantime.

zoob

Some people use Raspberry Pis as thin clients, or you can buy some old decomissioned HP blade client off eBay.

Haven't had much time to work on things recently. A couple of pics of that weirdo heatsink that I posted about in another thread.

pK7ZGyWh.jpg

Compared to the Intel heatsink

bMxcWK4h.jpg

Latest posts

Twitter