What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Duel Xeon Quad core Server Cheap.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Just did some digging and found a amazing deal on a 2U Rack server.
Its chraper then building my own and I can toss in decent amount of ram change out fans modd here there.
Xeon x2

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah seen that but I bought a Qnap yrs back was $699 empty from ncix. And it Barely managed 20 mb transfers. This one looks to be alot faster and workable.

enaberif

Yeah seen that but I bought a Qnap yrs back was $699 empty from ncix. And it Barely managed 20 mb transfers. This one looks to be alot faster and workable.

You could easily get a NAS now that is just as much if not cheaper and have way better speeds.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Well this has duel xeons and I have hdds sitting waiting. Plus its actually got server hardware.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Damn here I thought this lil server would be amazing with all its server hardware. I could put a Intel server nic in it. Oh well ill wait see what these were used for.

BlueByte

Thats not a bad price, a Synology 4 bay NAS is around $600. CPU DOES matter if you start to team and setup drive caching. This thing would beat the pants off a regular small business NAS. Before you buy I would check for drive size limitations, can you stick in 4TB drives etc. What is the RAID card, limitations? Personally two NICs for teaming will be a perk as well. The reason this is so cheap is this server in a data center is worthless. 2U server hardware this old is cheaper to dump and use half the space for more power and less rack rent costs.

Shipping would also be a concern as well.

If there is any drive size limitations just walk away dont even look at buying.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Read on ocn guy bought one stuck 4x4TB nas drives in it. Raid card ill toss one in if one it has is crap. I could just use this Lsi one for drives. I figure itd be nice to have actual server hardware I can mod as needed. Asked seller a few key questions and it will fit role I have set for it. Just wanted to share a good find and ask more experienced server operator's opinion on this.

Daedalus2002

You'll also need to pay brokerage fees if its coming from the US. The pics shown dont show space for expansion slots, are you sure they will take an external card?

Latest posts