What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DX10 is do-able on Windows XP

Magice

Everyone that I know who got the 8800GTX and 8800GTS never even got it for DX10,and know it won't even work good with it. It's simply the most powerful card on the market and nothing delivers DX9 better.

Gamashinoch

I don't feel sorry for me. I got a card that's almost 2x faster than what you have in current games once you start flipping on bells and whistles aka FSAA AF.

SenorBlanco

DX10 on XP

It doesn't look like whoever wrote this has any idea of what they are talking about. DX10 in XP won't happen. Period. Direct X 10 uses a completely new driver protocol for interacting with the system. In order to make Direct X 10 work in XP you'd have to completely rewrite the XP kernel, and make yourself custom videocard drivers. Sure, it they might create something to interface with the video card but it'll never be the same as dx10.
In some sense, someone already has, that someone being NVidia. You can access pretty much all of DX10's features from NV OpenGL extensions, under any platform: XP, Vista, Linux, OSX. Granted, it's the extensions are vendor-specific for now (NVidia), but hopefully the Khronos group will standardize them soon.

I'd be very surprised if iD's new engine (iD tech 5) doesn't run on XP, using all the DX10 features, thanks to OpenGL.

HyperBlade

DX10 is overhyped and very much overrated. The current crop of cards cannot run it properly and there is a DX10.1 already in the works. I mostly feel sorry for people that spent $600+ on these new killer cards that won't even run a DX10 game properly.
Depend if they bought it only for DX10 or for "extreme" performance in DX9. But it's true that they're not doing too good in DX10.

Twitter