What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

DX10 is do-able on Windows XP

Gamashinoch

I actualy don't doubt this. vista is getting very bad results from alot of "mom's and pops". Ya know who they are. The ones who go to futureshop and plop down $1000 on a "media" PC with vista premium. And of course it don't work right without "real" drivers aka ones you have to hunt down---BETA.

b1lk1

I have always felt that DX10 should have been ported to XP and if you ask me, the features in Vista should have been a service pack for XP to change it over. I realize there are things in Vista that don't work under XP, but then again, there are things in Vista that just don't work. Just remember, there were people that liked Windows ME too, LOL!!!!!

Magice

It doesn't look like whoever wrote this has any idea of what they are talking about. DX10 in XP won't happen. Period. Direct X 10 uses a completely new driver protocol for interacting with the system. In order to make Direct X 10 work in XP you'd have to completely rewrite the XP kernel, and make yourself custom videocard drivers. Sure, it they might create something to interface with the video card but it'll never be the same as dx10. Don't forget this is the inquirer we are talking about.

Why would you want it on XP anyways? For those who think XP isn't going to die, who here is still using Windows 98 or Windows 2000?

DX7 was never ported to DOS.

sswilson

Staff member
It doesn't look like whoever wrote this has any idea of what they are talking about. DX10 in XP won't happen. Period. Direct X 10 uses a completely new driver protocol for interacting with the system. In order to make Direct X 10 work in XP you'd have to completely rewrite the XP kernel, and make yourself custom videocard drivers. Sure, it they might create something to interface with the video card but it'll never be the same as dx10. Don't forget this is the inquirer we are talking about.

Why would you want it on XP anyways? For those who think XP isn't going to die, who here is still using Windows 98 or Windows 2000?

Heh......

I only ported over to XP when the nF4 chipset came out without `98 chipset drivers.

I suspect for me it'll be much the same with regards to changing from XP, however by then I expect either a DRM free Vista, or I'll just give up on PC gaming and move to Linux.

Magice

Out of everyone who has ran vista, including myself have never had a problem with DRM. I've played my purchased songs, rips from cds, and downloads without a problem. Same with DVDs. Is there something I am missing?

Cheator

According ot ViperJohn on another forum its pefectly possible, and if I would trust ANYONE, it'd be him. Its still possible it might not happen, but from what I can see its perfectly possible.

Out of everyone who has ran vista, including myself have never had a problem with DRM. I've played my purchased songs, rips from cds, and downloads without a problem. Same with DVDs. Is there something I am missing?
Maybe. I experienced issues with it playing DVDs, but the DRM stuff is mostly related to BluRay and HD DVD in vista.

sswilson

Staff member

That's because the full DRM features haven't yet been utilized by a content vendor.

The problem with Vista's DRM is that it gives content vendors the ability to turn off features of your computer, up to and including disabling hardware features.

They may not have used those abilities yet, but the very fact they exist mean that the content providers plan to use them in the future or they wouldn't be in there.

b1lk1

DX10 is overhyped and very much overrated. The current crop of cards cannot run it properly and there is a DX10.1 already in the works. I mostly feel sorry for people that spent $600+ on these new killer cards that won't even run a DX10 game properly.