What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

E-mail application for Android (What do you guys use?)

LarkStarr

Pretty much as the thread title asks, I'm curious to see options and opinions on E-mail applications to use for Android. Paid, free, ads (preferably not, but..), whatever!

I used to use K9 Mail (so please don't suggest that!), but recently I've been discovering more and more problems with attachments that are just not opening or taking forever to download with no indication of anything actually working. Also, the default Gmail application seems to have a few bugs as well, I previously had issues sending e-mails, which is.. rather critical. AOSP email app is just broken for me, though that might be my ROM too.

I might make this into a series of awesome android applications, focusing on a different type of application each time (Not that there aren't a billion such sites/reviews/whatever out there already...) to create a productive and solid android ecosystem.

Engage!

amendment:

Ah I remember why I thought the AOSP app was 'broken.' as I looked at it again briefly with all the suggestions above. - It doesn't support push from gmail (And google apps I think? I recall trying that, but I may try again), forcing you to use the broken (for me) gmail application and, of course, polled email checks. I use various email accounts frequently at work and on the road for work, I need emails to be pushed ASAP to me.

To expand, the gmail application failed to send messages for me at a critical time while I was on the road for work. After looking up the issue, I was rather stunned to find that I wasn't the only person with the problem. There were a few fixes suggested, but none of them had worked for me at the time. I need an application that's going to work solid and reliably as much as possible when I need it to work. Gmail isn't that application, and I would very extremely prefer ONE application to handle everything, not two or three.

Also, a good looking app wouldn't go amiss. Clean and functional.

I checked out Solmail earlier today, but that kind of just made me barf and I uninstalled that thing rather quickly. I'm onto cloudmagic right now. I'm liking it, it creates a index of emails in an amazon cloud for super fast searching. A dig through XDA indicates the dev keeping it quite secure as well, but if there's any sort of privacy concern, it might be one to avoid. However the app itself it rather nice. Fast and clean, seemingly still being tested and developed quickly.

Last edited:

chrisk

Folding Captain
I actually like the stock Samsung one, and Gmail was fine for me.

Right now, I am using Kaiten mail (I believe its based on K9). Its the one I'll stick with as its very customizable. Paid app (I got it on sale).

Birk

I manage 3 email accounts including my work email through just the stock samsung app. does everything I ever need.

IRQ Conflict

I hate using the phone for anything web related. I check the mail at home. But I do use it rarely so I just stick with the default Gmail provided by the Galaxy. It's linked to my hotmail account.

LarkStarr

Ah I remember why I thought the AOSP app was 'broken.' as I looked at it again briefly with all the suggestions above. - It doesn't support push from gmail (And google apps I think? I recall trying that, but I may try again), forcing you to use the broken (for me) gmail application and, of course, polled email checks. I use various email accounts frequently at work and on the road for work, I need emails to be pushed ASAP to me.

To expand, the gmail application failed to send messages for me at a critical time while I was on the road for work. After looking up the issue, I was rather stunned to find that I wasn't the only person with the problem. There were a few fixes suggested, but none of them had worked for me at the time. I need an application that's going to work solid and reliably as much as possible when I need it to work. Gmail isn't that application, and I would very extremely prefer ONE application to handle everything, not two or three.

Also, a good looking app wouldn't go amiss. Clean and functional.

I checked out Solmail earlier today, but that kind of just made me barf and I uninstalled that thing rather quickly. I'm onto cloudmagic right now. I'm liking it, it creates a index of emails in an amazon cloud for super fast searching. A dig through XDA indicates the dev keeping it quite secure as well, but if there's any sort of privacy concern, it might be one to avoid. However the app itself it rather nice. Fast and clean, seemingly still being tested and developed quickly.

Copypasted the above to the OP.

@Chrisk - I looked at K10, but I'm scared that it will have the same problems as K9, so I'm avoiding that one in particular for now. Also, no exchange 2010 support? Only seems to support 03/07

@Daedalus - Seems a little overboard for me, more an organizer then just email. That being said I might check it out, but, $20 just for exchange support? That's rather expensive.

No one else can chime in with anything they've tried?

Eluder

For work, I use TouchDown HD and it seems to do a pretty good job with Exchange support, including my work's new Office 365 setup.
For personal, I've gone back to simply using the stock client on my Moto X, which is similar to the gmail client, no major problems, only real complaint is that I wish it was push.

I've tried MailDroid Pro in the past, but I never really liked the interface, functionality was great though.

Nodscene

I may have to look into TouchDown. As much as Gmail works great with Google Apps, the only thing I miss about my iPhone is that I was able to set it to see 5 lines of the email in the preview so I didn't have to always open the actual email.

Latest posts