What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EA to charge $10 for playing a used game.

Thund3rball

Can't blame EA for trying to edge some money out of used game sales, which is what this is obviously doing. If you bought the game new you have nothing to worry about (hopefully). To be honest I don't understand the used game prices these days anyways. Literally a difference of $2 on a ton of titles. My jaw dropped when I started seeing this.

Who the eff is so desperate to play some game that saving $2 by buying used makes sense? Not to mention then you have to buy any free one-time DLC extra and of course my favourite... EBGames' extended "warranty" on used games you can purchase too (LMFAO). How in the hell does this save anyone money? You are paying more for used in the end and giving nothing to the actual gaming industry except some scammy middleman.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed buying used games from Craigslist and friends when used prices are actually worth it or it's an old game that's hard to find etc... However there's so many good deals out there on new games I haven't done that in some time. But saving $2-$5 on an initial used purchase from Gamestop/EB = LAAAAAME.

Want cheap games, wait for a sale and support the industry, not the opportunistic middleman.

Just my 2cents.

MpG

Mixed feelings, but ultimately I don't buy it. Granted, every used game sale is money that EA never sees, yet they're still expected to provide online connectivity for it? On the other hand, if the originally person has kept the game, EA would still be providing that connectivity, so there's no net loss there.

I'm amazed that Gamestop isn't protesting this, but maybe they're just seeing the writing on the wall, and figure they'll come out better if they play nice from the start.

LaughingCrow

Mixed feelings, but ultimately I don't buy it. Granted, every used game sale is money that EA never sees, yet they're still expected to provide online connectivity for it?

But the first person who bought the game already paid for that, so the second person buying the game isn't getting anything for free.

Or say I buy a 1 or 2 year old game for 20.00 or less and it still has online support - technically I didn't pay for either, but it's there.

If it's a game you never played before, it might be enough to get you to purchase the next installment of the game. (I have.) So it's possible they do benefit some from second hand sales, especially if there's other content like new maps, etc.

I agree with Full Speed - they are going to start charging for everything. People will buy it.

One of the things I noticed when playing the COD series, is how many really young kids are online playing a mature rated game. And the way they carry on, it sounds like there's no adult supervision with a lot of them. It occurred to me that a Playstation or XBox and a few popular games like COD is way cheaper than a babysitter or sitting around watching the kids. No need to chain them to the furniture. :biggrin: (Not to say there aren't any good kids playing, there are.)

Thund3rball

I read Gamestop is on board and will be selling Online Pass cards with an access code for one EA game at $10. Maybe they'll have to actually lower their used prices now?

Full Speed

I can understand trying to lower the sales of used games, but I think they're going about it the wrong way. Don't punish the person purchasing the used copy, reward the person buying the new copy. I like the way Forza 3 did it. A one time code that gives you some extra cars and an extra track or something. A little incentive to buy the game new. The second buyer doesn't have to spend $10 to get online. A service (like rapmaster said) 360 owners already pay for.

And if it is tied to one account (again like rapmaster said), then that's really hurting families. Me and my brother share the same 360. Sometimes I'll play his copy of NHL 2010 online for a laugh. I'll have to pay $10 for that privilage with NHL 2011? Screw that.

Perineum

Why are people buying the game used when they could buy it on release day and play with everyone else?

A couple of reasons:

1. EA never have their shit together on release day. Flooded servers, lag, problems galore.

2. New games are too damn expensive. Lower the price and almost everyone will buy new and legit. Half the games out there aren't worth even near what you pay for them. I think I'm correct in thinking that the reason for buying used is the cheaper price and no other reason.

Signal2Noise

2. New games are too damn expensive. Lower the price and almost everyone will buy new and legit. Half the games out there aren't worth even near what you pay for them. I think I'm correct in thinking that the reason for buying used is the cheaper price and no other reason.

^This

/thread

Thund3rball

Why are people buying the game used when they could buy it on release day and play with everyone else?

A couple of reasons:

1. EA never have their shit together on release day. Flooded servers, lag, problems galore.

I totally agree, games are expensive BUT... a $2 difference between new and used? Even a $5 difference is, imho, absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe Gamestop is making a killing on a difference of $2 on a $30 game or $5 on a ~$60 game. And really if you wait a bit, the game prices drop in a few months, or sometimes there's a great pre-order deal or just a random sale that coincides with a new release. Any of these will see gamers saving more money than $2-$5 on a used title from Gamestop (with no online access, first owner DLC etc etc etc).

However, I am like minded that I like incentives to buy new as opposed to punishment for buying used 'tis much fuzzier. :biggrin:

Brian

People will keep buying into it, and they will keep making money. As far as I'm concerned the PC gaming world is dead. Garbage quality games, overpriced, DLC (the dumbest thing in the world)...My mind can't process things as stupid as this next statement. Game costs $60+, 2 weeks later $10-20 more for another map, which A) should have been included in the game in the first place, and B) should be free with a patch. Then a month later another DLC pack worth $10-20 for an extra gun or two. Then another one for more maps.
There are zero, I repeat zero games that have come out in the last few years that are worth paying $100 for. (speaking of games that aren't MMO's with monthly fees)
But they keep doing it because people are dumb enough to buy into it. I've given up on buying games for the PC. The last game I purchased and was happy for the content provided at the price I got it at was Mirror's Edge when NCIX had it on for $5. It was great fun...not $60 worth of fun but I would have paid more than $5 for it.

Essentially what I'm saying is any time there's "DLC" released and someone pays for it, a baby seal dies. Games are meant to be put on a disc or a download and then that's it you play that game until patches come out or expansions come out (with a lot more content than these garbage DLC packs). You're not supposed to pay for games 2 and 3 times over.

Yeah ranting off topic slightly but in the same ballpark though, this $10 thing is also just as ridiculous.
Also, just like Activision raising prices by $10 a year...every other major developer is going to follow suit here because none of them care about their product anymore, it's all money.

Sorry for the rant but it's tough to see this happening growing up and watching the evolution of the PC gaming sector go from great to utter garbage. I spent a lot of hours supporting it over the years and to see it in it's current state isn't the easiest thing to accept. Ok yes I agree that sounded way nerdy.

Last edited:

Latest posts