What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EA6500 Cisco light keeps flashing

I just got it off kijiji. I plugged it in and I couldnt get into the settings by connecting to my PC, 192.168.1.1 I kept getting bad gateway. I then tried the hard reset and then I power cycled and now the cisco light keeps flashing and wont connect to a computer or to the internet.

I asked the kijiji douche bag and he just gave me the run around, he asked me to update the firmware. How can I update it, when I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1

Is this router done? thanks.

KaptCrunch

EA6500 what version of unit

with only the router hooked up to PC, reboot PC then ipconfig in a DOS box other is open router and check Cap's also check PSU (12VDC 3A.) for unit correct voltage and with right polarity

center is positive

sounds wrong firmware has DOA unit

can try 25min in the freezer then boot unit and flash with correct firmware

EA6500 what version of unit

with only the router hooked up to PC, reboot PC then ipconfig in a DOS box other is open router and check Cap's also check PSU (12VDC 3A.) for unit correct voltage and with right polarity

center is positive

sounds wrong firmware has DOA unit

can try 25min in the freezer then boot unit and flash with correct firmware

Also the power brick says 12v 2.0amp, thats the only thing the guy gave me

bignick277

Are you sure you're trying to connect to the "correct" gateway address, or are you assuming it's 192.168.1.1 because your old router used that address? Some routers use 192.168.0.1 and some use 192.168.0.254 or even 192.168.1.254. I've also seen other variations. Make sure you're connecting to the correct gateway address by opening command prompt and type the following without quotes "ipconfig /all". Look for your Local Area Network (LAN) or your Wireless Network Connection depending on how you've connected to the router and make sure your IPV4 address is a valid address. If it's starts with 169.x.x.x then that's an APIPA address and not valid, anything else is generally fine as long it's a DHCP assigned address. This will often happen on wireless connections if you get the security key wrong. Once you've confirmed the address is valid, you'll find the default gateway IP address about 4 lines below the your network cards IPv4 address. The default gateway address "is" the actual address of the router and it's the address you should use in your browser to connect to the router.

Note: When you use "ipconfig /all" you "will" get multiple listings for network devices. Make you are looking at the listing for the connection you are using to connect to the router.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Example

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ************
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **.**.**.**.**.** <--- Your computer's Network Card's MAC address in Hex.
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ****::****:****:****:****%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.24(Preferred) <-----You're computer's IPv4 Address
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 <-------- Network.Network.Network.Node
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:49:40 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:49:31 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 <---- You're Router's Actual IPv4 Address
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : ********
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : **.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**.**
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.x
x.x.x.x
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I contacted the guy who sold me the router and he was nice enough to just the it back. I had done everything including the above. I just couldn't get around to bring recognized. Thanks again all.

Latest posts