What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Early 2011 MBP issue

Cadence

Had no problems till recently. I read something along the lines of this issue being common but I'm wondering if anyone here has a fix.

It seems whenever I had high gpu load(vlc, etc.) computer screen "artifacts" not sure if using the correct term.

First time it happened, I let it cool down and took a few tries to reboot. Now it won't reboot to login screen .

I can boot it to the "Apple sound" and then get past that but it won't load the login screen it just shows the pictured screen and runs hot or at least fans go on full so i assume it's running hot .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Bad logic board I am betting. It could be a very costly repair. You could try an Apple store and see if it falls under the flat rate repair. Or you could try one of the places online / Ebay that will have BGA reball machines in order to replace the GPU. Those go for around $200 - $300 IIRC.

Cadence

Wow, I haven't posted on this forum in a few years now. And I get 2 quick responses from 2 reputable users I remember who always made great threads from when I was more active on this board ! This is why I enjoy being apart of this board. Mature and educated! :( looks like I'll have to give it to a "genius" .. Was hoping I could avoid that .

I've also seen entire boards on eBay as well.

ShinraCorp

I wouldn't trust Ebay for logic boards, most of them have a problem that the seller aren't reporting on. Sadly the only way is the Apple "GENIUS" way and by Genius I mean "You might as well buy a new MacBook Pro" way. I haven't seen the Genius crew at the St. Catherine store but the St. Foy store.... they're very incompetent I just browse around the Apple store from time to time just because I like their layout of the store, never to purchase anything.

From time to time I hear the genius bar guys talking about their customers problems, something like this: "Since your device is out of warranty, it's better to just buy a new one." Yeah because everyone has over 1000$ to throw away...

But thanks for reminding me, I needed to get that stupid Apple Technician certification if I ever want to repair Macs.... and look "professional" to clients.

Latest posts

Twitter