What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

ECC Memory & AMD's Ryzen - A Deep Dive Comment Thread

WSmart

What fun

Seems to me the time you're most likely to have a memory error is the time you least want one, crunch time. ECC gives you real time reporting and real time protection. I saw some PC4 EUSODIMM before finding the article here. The Ryzen mobile's use the AM4 socket, so maybe we'll have ECC support there.

You can also enable ECC on boards that are only missing bios support. I copied some of my notes below. Somebody has an article online about it. They point out that it might be bad to run these commands without ECC memory installed. I always look for ASUS boards though. I didn't know ASRock supported it. What fun.

sudo modprobe -v amd64_edac_mod ecc_enable_override=1 #Activates ECC, bios overide.

edac-util --status #EDAC drivers check.

sudo echo "options amd64_edac_mod ecc_enable_override=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/amd64_edac_mod.conf #not sure if this works without sudo su before hand. But this will make the ECC persistent between boots in 16.04..

dman777

Would Gigabyte's K7 have the same ECC options as the AsRock?

This article is so helpful, thanks!

I have a very important question, please...

I did not realize there were so many options for ECC, which I think is great. I really want to go the Gigabyte motherboard for my new build, and those options are a must for me.

For whatever reason, Gigabyte's GA-AX370-Gaming-K7 now works in Linux. Since it does support ECC and in ECC mode, would the bios have the same options for ECC as the AsRock did?

I downloaded the manual to the K7 and it made no mention of the bios options :(

Mr. Friendly

This article is so helpful, thanks!

I have a very important question, please...

I did not realize there were so many options for ECC, which I think is great. I really want to go the Gigabyte motherboard for my new build, and those options are a must for me.

For whatever reason, Gigabyte's GA-AX370-Gaming-K7 now works in Linux. Since it does support ECC and in ECC mode, would the bios have the same options for ECC as the AsRock did?

I downloaded the manual to the K7 and it made no mention of the bios options :(
you're right there's almost no info in the manual for this Gb mobo. all I found out is that it supports single and dual rank DIMMs up to 8GB in size, and no larger. you should check BIOS update notes to see if that's been worked on and it can take larger sticks now.

that said, if my memory serves me right, the general rules is that it's better to go with single rank than dual rank sticks. :ph34r:

Flodul

I've got an ASRock AB350 Pro4 with a 1800X-CPU and 16GB ECC RAM.
Under Linux "dmesg | grep -i edac" shows OS-support for ECC.
And under Windows "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection" gives "6", i.e. Windows supports ECC on this platform.
AFAIK all ASRock AM4/TR4-boards support ECC with recognizable support for the OS.

damian101

Thank you for this detailed article!
At the moment, a lot of AM4 ASRock mainboards (including the X370 Taichi) claim to support ECC memory, but ONLY for Ryzen PRO CPUs:
"For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs."
That confuses me, because I think a normal Ryzen processor was used for this article.
Will a normal Ryzen processor also work with ECC RAM on an ASRock mainboard?
I don't really need other ECC RAM features than single bit error correction...

dana44

X570 and zen2 update

Any chance we'll see an update for the ryzen 3000 series?

lowfat

Staff member
Ryzen 3000 series supports unregistered unbuffered ECC. Most boards should support it, just look @ the boards specifications first. Pretty much all Asus boards support it. Unfortunately unregistered ECC is rare and expensive. Registered ECC is crazy cheap if you are ok w/ buying used. AFAIK you'll also be stuck to 2133 or 2400MHz at the most, which definitely bottlenecks Zen 2.

Entz

You need to move to Epyc to use registered ECC (RDIMM), not even TR supports it. Unbuffered only for Ryzen.

Mastakilla

Hi all,

I'd like to view this article and registered for it. But when I try click the link to the article I get:
"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Can anyone explain what I need to do to obtain access?

edit: when searching for it with google, I was able to open it :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter