What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Echo Show as Spotify Connect device?

sswilson

Staff member
Long shot, but so far my google fu is failing me so I figured I'd ask in here....

Just got a couple of echo show 5's in (BB bundle deal) and while I've had no problems getting it set up to play spotify through Bluetooth into my receiver I'm not having any luck so far getting the second one to work as a spotify connect device which can control and display the client running on my PC. On any other device there is typically a "devices" icon in the spotify client that you can use to connect to other devices... I can't however find any kind of a main control page for the Echo Show's spotify "app" that would allow me to select that option, nor does there appear to be any main page that would allow me to use the touch screen to select something from my library.

Just to be clear... I have no problem using spotify connect from a different device to play spotify content on the Echo, it's trying to get spotify on the echo to play spotify content on a different device than the echo that I'm not having any luck with.

Any ideas? I've got a sneaking suspicion that the echo just isn't suitable for this use scenario.

Entz

Most likely is an app issue, but a random search turned up the Speakerfy skill? You can use it transfer control. I am not sure if it still lets you keep the display or not.

I picked up a 5 with the recent price drops. They are pretty nice! I wanted voice control in my bedroom and figured since I already have Dots why not. Just turn down the bass, otherwise they are boomy as all heck.

sswilson

Staff member
Most likely is an app issue, but a random search turned up the Speakerfy skill? You can use it transfer control. I am not sure if it still lets you keep the display or not.

I picked up a 5 with the recent price drops. They are pretty nice! I wanted voice control in my bedroom and figured since I already have Dots why not. Just turn down the bass, otherwise they are boomy as all heck.
So far it doesn't appear to work... it appears to transfer full control to the device which disables the control / view on the echo show. It probably works fine for "dumb" speakers, but not for connecting to software clients.

I've got it working through the web player in the silk browser, but that's a hell of a lot more work than it's worth especially since the browser just closed and the home screen took over....

I've got a sneaking suspicion this isn't going to work for what I want to do with it. (I've already got a tablet set up for viewing spotify content while my PC is in full screen gaming).

Last edited:

Entz

Yeah that is what I was afraid of. There is "Connect Control for Spotify" but it appears to be a hot mess.

This is a common thing people wan't to do you would think they would build it in. I guess the Shows are a second thought vs the pure speakers (dots).

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah that is what I was afraid of. There is "Connect Control for Spotify" but it appears to be a hot mess.

This is a common thing people wan't to do you would think they would build it in. I guess the Shows are a second thought vs the pure speakers (dots).
Well, it's also outside of the Amazon ecosystem so it's not necessarily in their interest to offer much more than basic functionality for somebody else's music app.

I paid $50 each and the first one will serve it's purpose (mostly digital clock with the added benefit of being a "smart" speaker that can also connect via Bluetooth to my receiver). I've got a couple of "smart" switches that I'd also like to connect to my downstairs 3D printer & lights so that I can turn them off from the upstairs when a print job is complete. I'll just have to figure out a use for the second one now.

sswilson

Staff member
It does however really illustrate that these types of devices should be considered Smart speakers with limited display features as opposed to a tablet replacement with a better speaker.

clshades

Amazon stuff is all about the skills, devices, and the app. Do you have them connected via wifi in different rooms? You'll need to specify which rooms they control through the app.

In the app you may need to add the reciever to the second device

You can also make them connected speakers so any music you play through the device plays on all devices.

I have the screen one and an echo dot. The echo dot is in the computer room and labeled as such. If I say "echo turn on lights" it knows to turn on only the computer lights in the room. Respectively, the kitchen one only turns on the kitchen lights if I only say lights, rather than area specific lights like living room or kitchen table.

If I say "echo, good night" it turns off all the lights in the house.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Amazon stuff is all about the skills, devices, and the app. Do you have them connected via wifi in different rooms? You'll need to specify which rooms they control through the app.

In the app you may need to add the reciever to the second device

You can also make them connected speakers so any music you play through the device plays on all devices.

I have the screen one and an echo dot. The echo dot is in the computer room and labeled as such. If I say "echo turn on lights" it knows to turn on only the computer lights in the room. Respectively, the kitchen one only turns on the kitchen lights if I only say lights, rather than area specific lights like living room or kitchen table.

If I say "echo, good night" it turns off all the lights in the house.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've got that part worked out. I believe the issue is specific to spotify connect. I can use the connect control "skill" that was mentioned above to transfer to my PC which streams the audio to my receiver over optical, but because it's going to a software client it also transfers over control and stops displaying the spotify content on the Show.

I could connect the Echo show directly to the receiver via analog but even then, the Echo's spotify main controls are pretty much non-existent so you still have to use another device to select and play the content initially.

sswilson

Staff member
Might need an Amazon fire stick to make it more fluid.
Heh... I've got two of them (one 4K and one first gen), and gave my CCA to my young lad. :)

It's just a weird use case. I run spotify on my PC and have that app tied to the optical out which goes to my receiver. Typically I start Spotify and then run whatever full screen game I want to play which then blocks access to the PC's spotify control so I then use a tablet through spotify connect to control the content still being played by the PC in the background.

I was hoping that the Echo Show 5 could take the place of the tablet which would also give me the echo functionality for smart devices, but I don't think it's going to work that way unless I either connect via analog from the echo, or get a Bluetooth dongle for the receiver. (I've already got Bluetooth on the Denon receiver upstairs.

Latest posts

Twitter