What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Eee-like mini laptop? What else is there?

mrlie3

I heard MSI and Acer is planning to introduce Intel's Atom-processor based UMPC, but that's all I know so far. Anybody knows an exact date of availability and specs&prices? I need a new laptop and Asus' Eee 900 seems good enough but I think it's bit expensive for the specs... ($549 US) I could trade-in my old laptop for Toshiba U400 at $750 or so, so I'm keeping my option open for now.

Last edited:

Thund3rball

Hmm I think you mean the MSI Wind. It's been revealed at a $610 USD price tag. No clear launch date that I know of yet? It has these specs. Although I think Linux is also available?

• 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor (assumed)
  • 10.2-inch LED-backlit display
  • Windows XP Home Edition
  • 80GB 2.5-inch hard drive
  • 1GB RAM
  • WiFi/Bluetooth
  • 1.3 megapixel webcam
You can check out UMPCPortal - The Ultra Mobile Computing reference site for more info on UMPCs.

Thund3rball

Update on the MSI Wind. Quote from notebookreview.com News Bits: MSI Wind is $399, Vostro 1710 Available, Office Ultimate for Cheap - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

Official pricing for the MSI Wind has been revealed. The US will only get the 10-inch version and will be available with Windows XP and Linux. The expected availability date is June 3. The following configurations will be available:

SuSE Linux version:
  • 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor
  • 512MB RAM
  • 80GB HDD
  • 3-cell battery; 2.5 hours battery life
  • $399
Windows XP version will have all of the above specifications with the following changes/additions
  • 1GB RAM
  • Bluetooth
  • 6-cell battery: 5.5 hours battery life
  • $549
A lower priced $500 Windows XP version should also be available, but there are no details on specs for that price point.
The MSI Wind will be available in four colors, including black, white, silver, and pink.

MAC

Associate Review Editor
Don't forget about the HP 2133 Mini-Note PC.

It has a sexy all-aluminium case and a very respectable 8.9-inch 1280x768 display.

Regrettably, it sports a VIA C7-M processor, so its appeal is limited to web browsing and productivity apps.

There will be an Intel Atom variant of this product though, so keep an eye out for that.

Last edited:

Qbito

Asus will be coming out with Eee PC 901 based on Intel Atom. Of course there is also Everex Cloudbook, Kohjinsha UMPC (Kohjinsha Singapore) and many others. Maybe you should hold off till after Computex =). With all these manufacturers competing against each other...the prices are bound to be lower.

lcdguy

Folding Team
if you want really small check out the Fujitsu U-810. We have some at work and they are bloody small. Fits in the palm of your hand. And to boot it's a tablet style pc as well.

Latest posts