What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Eee Pad Transformer ... Hands on :)

Andy

So ... I got one. I have a feeling that once this thing hits North American shores it will sell like hot cakes.

This thing is so bloody nice I can't get over how much better it feels to hold than an iPad. The back has the same texture as their current laptops, and the bezel is aluminium and very clean and fresh. I've always found that the iPad was a tad too heavy to hold in one hand. This thing however is perfect. Now, I'm comparing this to the 1st gen iPad, as I have not held a new one yet. The fit and finish is amazing. The iPad is no longer the cream of the crop in that regard.

The best thing so far though, is Android 3.1. It looks amazing. Navigation was well thought out, switching between windows is nice and easy, and the bottom task bar handles notifications beautifully.

I also can't get this thing to skip a beat. It feels so much better than the zoom. The model out now is only the wifi version, but at least here in Taiwan I can tether my data connection from my (Canadian) Galaxy S via Android's Mobile AP. Bluetooth tethering should work as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Needless to say I am incredibly impressed with this thing so far, and I can't wait for developers to update their apps for the bigger screen, and the whole slew of new stuff we will be seeing soon.

Some bragging shots :)

EeePad1.jpg

EeePad2.jpg

EeePad3.jpg

EeePad4.jpg

EeePad5.jpg

EeePad6.jpg

EeePad7.jpg

richuwo11

Very nice! Looking to pick this up once we get some in stock. Definately looking at getting the dock as well... Do you have the dock? Thoughts?

enaberif

My only issue with this thing is that it will cost ~$399 CAD for the unit then you'll have to dish out another ~$150 for the keyboard and dock. For that combined price you can buy a nice laptop or netbook.

Now this isn't saying I'd much enjoy spending $400 on that pad as it does look like a very nice unit

richuwo11

My only issue with this thing is that it will cost ~$399 CAD for the unit then you'll have to dish out another ~$150 for the keyboard and dock. For that combined price you can buy a nice laptop or netbook.

Now this isn't saying I'd much enjoy spending $400 on that pad as it does look like a very nice unit

Yea, it may be a tad expensive, maybe $100 is a better price point.

But for $150, you get:
  • a keyboard+track pad
  • double the original battery use (over 16 hours)
  • the dock charges your tablet when connected
  • 2 extra USB ports
  • 1 SD card reader
  • future compatibility with newer models of the Tranformer brand
I know I don't have an issue shelling out the extra $150.

enaberif

Yea, it may be a tad expensive, maybe $100 is a better price point.

But for $150, you get:
  • a keyboard+track pad
  • double the original battery use (over 16 hours)
  • the dock charges your tablet when connected
  • 2 extra USB ports
  • 1 SD card reader
  • future compatibility with newer models of the Tranformer brand
I know I don't have an issue shelling out the extra $150.

Watching the Linus video I didn't realize with the keyboard you get an additional battery.. so that justifies it for me.

Latest posts