What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

either my msi a88xm-e45 or amd 7850k apu is damaged, what are my options?

kn00tcn

the mobo is from newegg on july30, i picked it up from mississauga (what a waste of time & gas money crossing the GTA)

the apu is from ncix on july22, i already used the thief code

-what is the newegg.ca RMA process? probably cant return it since it's over 2 weeks ago, i dont mind getting a replacement, but do i pay for shipping using their ups label? the best might be to go over there in person to swap

-i doubt the apu is damaged but you never know... anyone in the GTA have a spare apu i can borrow? or an a88x mobo

-i'm near a canadacomputers, i could just buy a second mobo for $5 more than i paid at newegg, but that probably means i'll have 2 of them since the newegg one would most likely be replacement only

why do i think one of these is damaged? 6 hour long story short, i cant boot with a gfx driver or load anything that uses the gpu, either it will reset the whole system when windows loads (even though bsods are set to not do that) or it will hard lock then artifact during any gpu load within seconds/minutes

lowering the cpu & gpu frequencies guarantees a boot, but still eventually hard locks with artifacts during gpu load

a couple extra things that point toward the mobo in particular are some very rare bsods with BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER, i think mainly when a restart is triggered, & some kind of electrical noise coming out of... either the socket or vrms or usb ports... it doesnt seem like mere coil whine, seems more unhealthy

kn00tcn

First thing to do if you even think you have an issue is to tell them... That means even if it takes you a lil longer to confirm it / be ready to ship that you reported it within the time you need

how much would a newegg RMA end up costing? can i choose to return to my home address instead of original (their warehouse across the city) shipping address since i didnt pay for shipping in the original order?

proxy

These are questions you would ask the retailer, they'd be able to answer them.

From my experience you normally pay for shipping yourself on RMAs back to Newegg, and the return shipping is covered by them.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Do yourself a huge favour if you can. Find a friend with a mobo or cpu and do some swapping. It'll save you a whack load of time and/or cash.

Alternatively, I know NCIX has been kind enough in the past to pop a CPU into one of their testing rigs for me for no fee. I was having issues on boot, and just having them boot the CPU (similar to your issue) saved me and them a lot of hassle. I'm not sure if the local Toronto NCIX are this friendly, but the Ottawa one was fantastic!

ShinraCorp

I'm gonna be biased here but it's probably your mobo. Throughout all of my years of IT experience (not that much lol) I have never seen a CPU being responsible for a failure. They're extremely rare cases that it is the CPU. But if you get a BSOD saying your USB Driver is messing up, it might be the MOBO. Hopefully you'll find someone with a spare part to test it with.

kn00tcn

funny... it's all working today, i had some webgl demos running for a few min, hit 80 on both the cpu & gpu according to hwmonitor (is this even accurate? temps jump around a lot, gpuz's 0 degrees is hwmonitor's 40)

no more unknown device manager devices after installing the extra packages that came with 13.30 kaveri launch beta (except that video bloatware of course) + msi's renesance usb3 driver

(the whole usb/ahci/southbridge drivers are extremely confusing, starting with 14.4 amd said they removed them due to some unspecified issue & that they'll post them on amd.com... WHERE?? with the 14.7 stuff installed, i still had an unknown device called SMBus, while in 13.30 i see SMBus is one of the items that the catalyst package installs)

could it have been some warm boot bug on the mobo due me doing a ton of restarts+bios changes? the cpu fan's wires were also touching the ram sticks yesterday so i moved the wire today

i guess the next step is to keep watching what it does, have it in use for hours, attempt to install 14.7rc3

Do yourself a huge favour if you can. Find a friend with a mobo or cpu and do some swapping. It'll save you a whack load of time and/or cash.

Alternatively, I know NCIX has been kind enough in the past to pop a CPU into one of their testing rigs for me for no fee. I was having issues on boot, and just having them boot the CPU (similar to your issue) saved me and them a lot of hassle. I'm not sure if the local Toronto NCIX are this friendly, but the Ottawa one was fantastic!

that's why i asked on HWC, if i could find someone here in toronto, otherwise i dont know anyone on an FM2 platform

if i were to go to a store, i would need them to install windows, install the drivers, put gpu accelerated load on, which might take a while

NEW EDIT:

ENABLE C6 STATE IS THE PROBLEM, also possibly the heat on the southbridge

i can boot & put various loads on when c6 is disabled, otherwise it instantly restarts as soon as windows loads with c6 enabled

buggy bios? still chance of physical damage? i'm also thinking the electric noises i'm hearing are the PWM fan

i had only 1 freeze earlier today, during an hd tune error scan i had hwmonitor+taskmanager+this browser cpu burnin test open at 25% & 50%, then it froze when i clicked 100% load (obviously it cant actually use the whole multithreaded cpu, i was on firefox at the time)

Last edited:

kn00tcn

funny... it's all working today, i had some webgl demos running for a few min, hit 80 on both the cpu & gpu according to hwmonitor (is this even accurate? temps jump around a lot, gpuz's 0 degrees is hwmonitor's 40)

no more unknown device manager devices after installing the extra packages that came with 13.30 kaveri launch beta (except that video bloatware of course) + msi's renesance usb3 driver

(the whole usb/ahci/southbridge drivers are extremely confusing, starting with 14.4 amd said they removed them due to some unspecified issue & that they'll post them on amd.com... WHERE?? with the 14.7 stuff installed, i still had an unknown device called SMBus, while in 13.30 i see SMBus is one of the items that the catalyst package installs)

could it have been some warm boot bug on the mobo due me doing a ton of restarts+bios changes? the cpu fan's wires were also touching the ram sticks yesterday so i moved the wire today

i guess the next step is to keep watching what it does, have it in use for hours, attempt to install 14.7rc3

that's why i asked on HWC, if i could find someone here in toronto, otherwise i dont know anyone on an FM2 platform

if i were to go to a store, i would need them to install windows, install the drivers, put gpu accelerated load on, which might take a while

NEW EDIT:

ENABLE C6 STATE IS THE PROBLEM, also possibly the heat on the southbridge

i can boot & put various loads on when c6 is disabled, otherwise it instantly restarts as soon as windows loads with c6 enabled

buggy bios? still chance of physical damage? i'm also thinking the electric noises i'm hearing are the PWM fan

i had only 1 freeze earlier today, during an hd tune error scan i had hwmonitor+taskmanager+this browser cpu burnin test open at 25% & 50%, then it froze when i clicked 100% load (obviously it cant actually use the whole multithreaded cpu, i was on firefox at the time)

(unusual edit, did my reply get deleted somehow or did it go into moderation when i edited it 10 hours later? i will paste everything again in case, but mods can fix it if it's due to me being a new user)