What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Electrical burning and now smoke!

JD

Staff member
So yesterday I smelled electrical/plastic burning but couldn't locate the source. Kind of seemed like it was from my subwoofer but it was still working fine. Didn't even think it would be my PC as it too was on and working fine. Ignored it since there was no visible smoke and the smell dissipated.

Today I go and turn on my PC to have it turn off almost immediately and smoke coming out of the drive bays. :shok:

It looks like the LED power lead from my Monsoon reservoir is the culprit so far. It's melted like this in multiple places with bare copper exposed.

The question now is, do I attempt to turn my PC back on? I've obviously disconnected this melted wire. I'm wondering though if my PSU is cooked too? Has it taken anything else with it? :doh:

Attachments

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
As long as you've disconnected that wire, it should be safe to turn on and see if the PSU still works.

Shadowmeph

Wow thats lucky nothing on your board burned. its a surprise that your system didn't shut down .

I remember years ago just after I joined HWC and a total noob at putting together Computers I kept smelling electrical burning smell and I turned off my PC and looked at the wiring and the board couldn't find nothing that looked burned , upgraded my video card and about a week later I heard a crackle and popping sound I was in a different room came in as fast as I could there was a little smoke pulled the cord off the back of my unplugged my psu checked didn't notice anything . plugged it back in fan spun for heat sink but nothing after checking several things ended up buying a new psu plugged that in same thing bought a new MB same thing bought a cpu same thing after going through every thing I am sure that my cheap PSU that I had originally took out my vid card cpu and motherboard because after I tested the vid card in a difference system it was also toast. but after I put it all together on with a new video card everything work so I went through the process of checking the CPU ( was toast) and I already knew that last vid card was toast . then after going through all of that I learned about cheap PSUs so I learned my lesson since then I never cheaped out on a PSU . I remember looking at the board and noticing a few caps the tops were open which before iI asked and knew that caps open on top not good lol

gingerbee

that's kinda why I said you should check everything to make sure there's not a burnt or dark spot your missing plugged into anything

JD

Staff member
I'm guessing something with the LED controller in the reservoir? It's more concerning that I don't know the cause...

Plugged my PC back in and all seems okay though. My pump and fans were plugged into the same cable and they seem fine too. I guess thankfully it wasn't one of those passthru molex connectors, everything is on their own.

And my mistake, it's a Monsoon reservoir: https://www.amazon.ca/Monsoon-Two-Premium-Dual-Reservoir/dp/B00EURGBWK

JD

Staff member
Well long story below...

Finally decided to clean my loop... I took a lazy route and used a submersible pump and bucket to get water into the reservoir to flush out the dye, but forgot to leave a port open so it could breathe, as such it pressurized the loop and the GPU block started leaking somewhere. Still undetermined where from though as I tore it all apart and everything appeared fine. Back together now and no leaks from the GPU. Then I noticed dark red coolant (basically blood colour) leaking from the front of the case, figure out the reservoir seemingly has been leaking for a while too (possibly why those LED's caught fire?). Not sure where from yet as I haven't seen it leak yet. The cover was wet and stained with fluid though and the piece of foam I had below the res was wet too. Tore it apart, cleaned it up, probably going to just put some more silicone in that cavity to seal it off just in case the fire had melted a tiny hole or something. Resumed the cleaning, this time with the additive of Pinesol (Swiftech mentioned it on their site, figured I'd try). Then I noticed one of my hard tubes had a minor leak, went to push it back together and of course it falls off and dumps basically the whole loop into my case. Thankfully it mostly drains out the bottom since there's enough various holes.

tldr; water all over the place, worst of luck today

Now I'm back to flushing out the Pinesol after inadvertently doing most of it ;)

Pics of the reservoir below:

Attachments

FreeKnight

That sucks. This reminds me why I'm just on air at the moment (though I keep looking at doing another WC build).

As for the PSU, like others mentioned you're probably fine, but if you want to be safe, you could hook it up to a PSU tester like the DR Power ones you can buy at MemEx or CC just to be absolutely safe. I'll be using mine once on every new build or after trouble shooting to really quickly narrow down the list of culprits

Lysrin

Wow that is quite an unpleasant adventure! And that gear certainly did some melting. Was the melting related to the loop cleaning mishaps or did the melting happen before you decided to clean?

Latest posts

Twitter