What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Elite Dangerous?

lcdguy

Folding Team
i'm still skeptical on what will actually work on release and what core functionality they will break once the update lands. The fleet carrier release for example required 5 patches to fix, after 2 open beta periods.

Lysrin

i'm still skeptical on what will actually work on release and what core functionality they will break once the update lands. The fleet carrier release for example required 5 patches to fix, after 2 open beta periods.

Such is life with game releases these days. Might be more polished since it's the next paid release, but as long as they patch it up in a reasonable time I'm OK with that. Unfortunately day zero patches even seem to be the norm.

lcdguy

Folding Team
the patches took over a month to be applied, and every content update paid or not causes issues in my experience with elite. I hope for the best, but expect the worst when it comes to updates to elite dangerous.

Lysrin

the patches took over a month to be applied, and every content update paid or not causes issues in my experience with elite. I hope for the best, but expect the worst when it comes to updates to elite dangerous.

Certainly a fair position! Don't disagree.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I finally got around to watching part 2 of the road to Odyessy dev log.

And I'd like to know, do devs really listen? Do they take feedback from the community and incorporate it into the game?

Sadly, in the case of ED. I don't think so.

A high quality space combat sim should be a blank cheque. There's no way a well made one shouldn't be able to make huge amounts of money. Yet in the case of ED, there's almost anyways something lacking. Large portions of ED remain a terribly boring grind. Space combat often doesn't pay at all, and is often unsatisfying (ex- combat zones repeating regardless of your involvement, number of victories, etc. Scheduled to end no matter what you do).

So I'm going to again wish for something from Odyssey, but I doubt it will happen: Mixed vehicle and ground combat.
How can there even be a doubt about putting it in a game with both elements? How was that not the First thing ever mentioned?
Having a modern game where vehicles can take part in fps combat is something every great fps needs. The cheer awesomeness of taking down a tank with a rocket launcher, strafing an armor column from a ground attack helicopter, calling in bombing runs against fixed emplacements and having someone actually fly the bombing run.
It's a no-brainer, imo.

I was going to make a list of things I'd wish from a game like ED, but decided to stop myself so the disappointment remains low lol

Lysrin

Just received an email that Horizons is now free for all players and if you already own you get a free paint job for all ships. Not free-to-play I don't believe but free if you own the base game.

Most serious Elite players already have Horizons I'd say but still, nice to get the planetary landing content if you don't have it. And I'm sure this will set them up for more players being involved in Odyssey.

lcdguy

Folding Team
yeah, it was a requirement for odyssey since it would require the planetary side of the game whenever odyssey launches. Though still on the fence if i will get it on launch day or not.

sswilson

Staff member
Just received an email that Horizons is now free for all players and if you already own you get a free paint job for all ships. Not free-to-play I don't believe but free if you own the base game.

Most serious Elite players already have Horizons I'd say but still, nice to get the planetary landing content if you don't have it. And I'm sure this will set them up for more players being involved in Odyssey.

Cool, I have the base game but didn't really get into it so I didn't by the upgrade. Will have to load it again and see if the upgrade is applied.

Just bought a Vesa stand that I'm hoping will allow me to easily swap my pinball monitor from the fixed angle stand onto something for landscape mode. That paired with the hotas mounts I'm printing off, and the dedicated PC I'm putting together for Pinball+ might give me a relatively permanent setup making it easier for me to just jump in for an hour or so of tutorials.

Lysrin

Cool, I have the base game but didn't really get into it so I didn't by the upgrade. Will have to load it again and see if the upgrade is applied.

Just bought a Vesa stand that I'm hoping will allow me to easily swap my pinball monitor from the fixed angle stand onto something for landscape mode. That paired with the hotas mounts I'm printing off, and the dedicated PC I'm putting together for Pinball+ might give me a relatively permanent setup making it easier for me to just jump in for an hour or so of tutorials.

Since you have the base game you should get an email with the details at whatever email is registered on your account. I don't know if there is a difference for Steam versions of Elite vs direct from Frontier... hmm... didn't mention that in the email.

Latest posts