What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Email Servers

Izerous

Basically the + symbol and anything after it is ignored. Same goes for adding periods anywhere in the address too. Then
Just to clarify the stuff after the period is not ignored (i didn't know about the features of the + symbol) only the period itself is ignored.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

would all resolve to the same thing. I do find it really useful when making email addresses with two words
like just taking a few examples from the funny list: https://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

[email protected] can be [email protected] and both would resolve the same.
or
[email protected] can be [email protected]

Mr. Friendly

Just to clarify the stuff after the period is not ignored (i didn't know about the features of the + symbol) only the period itself is ignored.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

would all resolve to the same thing. I do find it really useful when making email addresses with two words
like just taking a few examples from the funny list: https://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

[email protected] can be [email protected] and both would resolve the same.
or
[email protected] can be [email protected]
by this am I to take it then that my gmail account that is [email protected] could also be used as [email protected] and gmail wouldn't see a difference, but I could filter to sort?

Black_Ice-Dragon

This is some very interesting info. Ive been thinking about doing something similar since it seems anything you give anyone gets sold at some point these days, but with almost no way to know who. Im gonna have to set this up.

Mr. Friendly

This is some very interesting info. Ive been thinking about doing something similar since it seems anything you give anyone gets sold at some point these days, but with almost no way to know who. Im gonna have to set this up.
what's your application? I don't quite understand how having an alias has anything to do with selling something?

sswilson

Staff member
what's your application? I don't quite understand how having an alias has anything to do with selling something?
I'm assuming that he's referring to his email address being farmed out after he uses it to register on any particular website. Using this method would allow somebody to create a rule that would send all emails sent to specific naming conventions direct to trash and/or would quickly out any site guilty of sharing his registration email addy.

JD

Staff member
Yeah I have a feeling Amazon, AliExpress and eBay are offenders there, I get emails from companies I've bought stuff from that I never asked for. Maybe it's not even sold, rather those sellers are just abusing the fact that they get your email when you purchase something.

Even something like SkipTheDishes, the driver has your phone number apparently as I've had a few guys call me when they're outside (not sure why, I live in a house and usually waiting at the door).

As I will continue to say, there's no such thing as privacy today on the Internet. There's only so much you can do to limit your footprint without disconnecting yourself entirely.

Latest posts

Twitter