What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Enabling HDR on NVidia 1XXX cards?

sswilson

Staff member
Am I missing something?

With an RX 560 connected my 4K TCL TV automatically recognizes the card and enables HDR on boot (there's an HDR overlay at startup confirming it). It also automatically switches to "Game Mode" when a game is started. I tried connecting my 1050 ti laptop to the TV and can't for the life of me figure out how to enable HDR (windows doesn't see it as an HDR capable panel).

Documentation suggests that the 1050 ti's vanilla HDMI 2.0 should be able to do HDR, but if there's a setting somewhere, I sure as hell can't find it.

Am I missing something, or is the newer HDMI port version on the AMD card making the difference?

ZZLEE

Go to Nvidia control resolution settings and scroll down to PC settings and see if its there.

Solace

Am I missing something?

With an RX 560 connected my 4K TCL TV automatically recognizes the card and enables HDR on boot (there's an HDR overlay at startup confirming it). It also automatically switches to "Game Mode" when a game is started. I tried connecting my 1050 ti laptop to the TV and can't for the life of me figure out how to enable HDR (windows doesn't see it as an HDR capable panel).

Documentation suggests that the 1050 ti's vanilla HDMI 2.0 should be able to do HDR, but if there's a setting somewhere, I sure as hell can't find it.

Am I missing something, or is the newer HDMI port version on the AMD card making the difference?
Are you using 4:4:2 chroma at 10bit when the game operates? its the standard for HDR10 and will fail to activate if something else is set. Also older windows builds have known issues with negotiations of HDR. Game mode may also prevent HDR from occuring as HDR in some older TV models increases input latency and game modes generally circumvent any feature that would increase latency.

sswilson

Staff member
Go to Nvidia control resolution settings and scroll down to PC settings and see if its there.

I'll have another look this morning, but I didn't see anything like that when I looked yesterday.

You really shouldn't have to do anything. Just enable hdr color on the windows display settings.

That's how it's working with the RX 560. On the 1050 ti, the windows setting(s) suggest that the panel isn't HDR compatible which leads me to believe that either the card's HDMI port isn't compliant, or there's an Nvidia setting that I'm missing.

sswilson

Staff member
Are you using 4:4:2 chroma at 10bit when the game operates? its the standard for HDR10 and will fail to activate if something else is set. Also older windows builds have known issues with negotiations of HDR. Game mode may also prevent HDR from occuring as HDR in some older TV models increases input latency and game modes generally circumvent any feature that would increase latency.

Fully updated and most recent W10 version, and the 4:4:2 option is the only one available, but it's an 8 bit panel so 8 bit is the only option.

For whatever reason, with this mobile 1050 ti windows only sees it as an SDR panel. Maybe it's taking it's cue from the internal monitor even if I set it to display the TV only (one thing I didn't try was to see if I can physically disable the internal monitor in device manager). I'll give the device manager thing a shot, but if that doesn't do the trick I'm going to assume that either the card or the port doesn't have HDR capabilities.

edit: Nope, two monitors show up in device manager, but attempting to disable them has no apparent effect (the monitors don't stop displaying).

Last edited:

djbrad

Do you use the same hdmi cable for the rx 560 and the 1050 ti?

A cheap cable could do some trouble.

Do you use the same hdmi port on the tv?

Another port could not detect automatically and / or maybe need to be forced to hdr in the tv settings.

I once enabled HDR with a geforce 1030 on my side, so it should work.

Or the laptop only have hdmi 1.4x and cannot support HDR. Are you able to do 4k60hz with it?

Can you please provide the laptop model?

sswilson

Staff member
It's a Dell G3 3579 which is able to do 4K@60hz and yeah, using the exact same cable/port as the RX 560 that works. The laptop's port is at the very least 2.0, but I'm thinking it's a vanilla port as opposed to 2.0x so maybe that's what's going on.

As far as forcing the TV goes.... I've checked for any kind of settings that might allow for that, but nothing is coming up.

It's not a huge deal.... I'm selling/moving the laptop anyways. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

djbrad

I remember having a hard time for HDR with my geforce 1030, had to try various settings.

I don't think your are doing anything wrong, must be nvidia specific or the hdmi port is not 2.0a.

I found : HDR for UHD is 4:2:0, 10bit as HDMI cannot carry a 4:4:4 signal at 10bit.

But you already wrote that you only see 4:4:2.

Unless it's a very dumb thing, like you said, if the laptop screen is not HDR compatible windows deny HDR on external screen.

From images I saw, FN+F8 on your laptop "should" switch the display to external only when connected

Anyway, if you are selling it, don't lose more time on this.

Solace

Pretty much that,
If you have another device to test with to determine if its the display or not would help. TCL is the cheaper line of displays and may yield more issues than normal. Would suck if you moved to a new unit and had the same issue. An Android tv box with 9.0 or newer for about 50$ supports HDR content as a cheap testbed.

Latest posts

Twitter