What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ever heard about this?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Friend of mine as an Acer T180 (AMD AM2 socket) with onboard video - nVidia 6100 series. He decided to add a video card and I found him a X1650Pro PCI-E on ebay for 28$, brand new.

The thing powers up, video is available on my test rig.

I went to install it last night. Un-installed the nVidia drivers, cleaned the system using DriverCleaner, and rebuilt the cab driver file at the same time. Shut down, installed the card and powered back up. I checked the BIOS. PCI-E is first in line.

Video is available no problem. Then I installed the Ati drivers only, no CCC. Rebooted, and the problems started. No more video, only color lines - impossible to see text. Shut down again, remove the card and powered back up. Got the message of Windows not starting properly...

nVidia drivers were re-installed automatically for the 6100 onboard.

I double-checked the BIOS again. I don't see any particular setting to use the X1650 over the onboard - though I don't know that BIOS at all.

Any ideas why the Ati drivers would cause such an issue?

Thanks.

John

G

Did you disable the onboard in the BIOS?

I know you said the pci-e was the inital display but didnt metion if you disabled the onboard.

3.0charlie

hmm. I taught that by having the PCI-Ex as initial display, it would disable the onboard video by the same token.

Do you have any idea what could be the BIOS setting for that? I don't remember seing a "Disable Onboard Video" option.

G

hmm. I taught that by having the PCI-Ex as initial display, it would disable the onboard video by the same token.

Do you have any idea what could be the BIOS setting for that? I don't remember seing a "Disable Onboard Video" option.
You might have to dig abit to get to it.
I forget the path ATM but to disable my onboard sound I have to go to thru 3-4 sub-menus before I get to it. just dig around and if you didnt actually disable it then yes thats prob ally your problem.

kcksteve

are you using an lcd monitor? it could be you video card is outputing to high a refresh rate or resolution, oh and m bro had a problem where he couldnt get video even if the pci-e was first unless he disabled the onboard video

sswilson

Staff member
Have you had any luck yet?

My daughter's computer is a 6100 based chipset so I'll have a look tomorrow if you're still trying to find the bios setting (it might help if you knew what the mobo is... most of the "big box" computers have proprietary bios', but they are based on retail boards from manufacturers like MSI).

magictorch

it should be straightforward if its MSI bios

Ive got an older emachines t6216 with the same integrated graphics and MSI bios.
There is a fairly obvious bios setting with MSI where you switch the integrated graphics off and PCI on-next to the frame buffer options if i remember- had to do the same thing.

3.0charlie

Thanks guys, FYI I will have the rig at my place tomorrow night. I'll troubleshoot then. First time playing around with an AMD mobo and BIOS.

kcksteve: he's using a CRT monitor.

sswilson: the mobo is a Foxconn MCP61SM-AM, though it has an Asus tag on it... go figure. If you do find the setting, it would make my life a whole lot simpler.

magic: since Supergrover replied with is answer, the more I think that I missed that setting. But last night, I couldn't find it!

John

magictorch

if you list the bios

if you list the bios that would help.
The MSI bios for the t6216 MS7207 board 6100 integrated graphics was made by american megatrends, it was very easy to turn the pci on...no need to go through too many submenus. Probably so easy as they had disabled just about everything related to Ocing!!

I had a look at your freinds computer quickly but couldnt find the bios.

anyway sure youll get it sorted.

Latest posts