What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ever heard about this?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
That's what I did, sequence-wise... What I mean by no video is I see the POST, the Windows boot screen and then its black out. The power LED on the monitor goes out. No more signal. The PCI-E is selected by default in the BIOS (go figure...).

I'll try re-installing.

3.0charlie

Instead of removing the card, I tried Safe mode - I'm in. The onboard video and driver are nowhere to be seen in Windows. Only the Ati is shown in Device manager. What could create such a conflict that there is loss of video in "Normal" Windows?

sswilson

Staff member
That's what I did, sequence-wise... What I mean by no video is I see the POST, the Windows boot screen and then its black out. The power LED on the monitor goes out. No more signal. The PCI-E is selected by default in the BIOS (go figure...).

I'll try re-installing.
Ok, so it's definately a windoze issue. I suspect it's defaulting to using the on-board as main vid for some reason.

Hopefully a fresh install will solve the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3.0charlie

I haven't re-installed yet... but odd conflict here. Rebooted, same black screen, but now I can see the icon of a mouse (the hand with the index finger pointing), then it's rebooting on its own?

I even tried the Secondary adaptor - a DVI. No luck.

Still trying...

sswilson

Staff member
Do you have a second monitor you can hook up to it so that you're hooked up to both the on-board and the ATI?

That way you can see if there is something you can do to get both working, and then figure out how to get the ati recognized as the primary.

3.0charlie

I'm still in safe mode (which works). Is there a way to take of this while it's viewable?

If not, bed is calling. I'll hook up a second monitor tomorrow night. It's a good idea.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm still in safe mode (which works). Is there a way to take of this while it's viewable?

If not, bed is calling. I'll hook up a second monitor tomorrow night. It's a good idea.
I'm not sure.... I've never had much luck doing anything hardware related in safe mode.

You can check device manager to ensure that the onboard is disabled, and see if there is anything on the ATI device settings that would allow it to be set as primary.

3.0charlie

I simply un-installed the driver, and I'm back in Windows. So it's an incompatibility with the Ati driver. What's next? Another set of drivers? Do the Ati drivers still need .Net 2.0 to be installed?

Bed time for me - more tomorrow. Thanks Mr. Wilson for your help.

3.0charlie

It's alive and kickin'! I re-installed the driver using Windows' Update Driver Software - and it worked. I also cleaned the drivers in Safe mode using DriverCleaner - forgot to that last night.

I've got a message saying that the driver is obsolete (???), I'm working that.

John

Twitter