What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ever heard about this?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I don't think my friend will make a case out of this 8x PCI-E slot. The X1650Pro will be faster than the onboard graphics anyday.

More tomorrow night.

John

3.0charlie

I have the rig with me. It's a Phoenix Award BIOS. I went through it, and no option tells me to disable the onboard video. Unless it's an option that its name doesn't mean anything to me...

sswilson

Staff member
I have the rig with me. It's a Phoenix Award BIOS. I went through it, and no option tells me to disable the onboard video. Unless it's an option that its name doesn't mean anything to me...

I'll go up and have a look at my daughter's computer right now... it's an Asrock 6100, but I believe it has a Pheonix Award Bios as well.

I'll also dig up the manual... I only ever ran my 6600 GT on it, but I seem to remember some hoops that needed to be jumped through to get ATI cards to run well on it.

Back in a few minutes.....

sswilson

Staff member
Nope... the only selection in her bios is selecting primary vid (onboard/PCIe/PCI) and then mem size selections for onboard.

Nothing in the manual, and nothing in the faq for the asrock motherboard.

The problem lies in the fact that these boards (6100 & ATI 200 chipsets) were envisioned as multi-monitor setups where the onboard would provide a third port for a 3 screen setup.....

I think it's do-able, but it's a matter of which drivers to install first, and then disabling that card (via device manager) and then installing the next set of drivers.

I'll do some more research to see if I can find something more substantial on it, but in the meantime, did you try to install just the ATI drivers without CCC or the Omega drivers?

3.0charlie

Thanks. While waiting I found that the mobo is a Foxconn MCP61SM. I'm going through the manual.

I only tried the driver, no CCC.

I'll reboot, uninstall the driver, disable the onboard video, shut-down, install card, re-start, install Ati drivers and hope for the best.

John

3.0charlie

System is started with the card installed. I checked the adaptor and found the culprit: IRQ conflicts! It's between the card and "PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge". Now, I never played with the IRQ. Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.

John

sswilson

Staff member
Silly question maybe, but did you try a c-mos reset after installing the new vid card to get it to re-initialize the IRQ slots?

There's also normally a setting in bios for forcing a new resource allottment.

3.0charlie

I managed to take care of the of the conflict by doing exactly that; IRQs are not a problem anymore. But... I installed the driver (only - 7.9) and rebooted.

No luck, no more video!

:doh:

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, how about this......

Try booting with the onboard (ati card removed) and then once you're in there, disable the onboard video via device manager.

Then install the ati card as per normal.

I'm sure it's a sequencing thing.

(When you say "no" video... do you mean no video in windows, or not even a post screen.... if there is no post screen... do you have the PCIe selected as primary video in bios?)

Latest posts