What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EVGA Announces GTX 285 Classified and X58 Classified 4-Way SLI Motherboard

voklskier4452

check out the detroit motor city event, not quite the same board it was actually an engineering sample but those are some of the benches using a similar setup

MpG

Okay, seriously, what is this board actually giving you that's new? Besides forcing you to down to only a few case choices (not that those serious benchers would be using any case at all)? The standard classified could already do 4-way SLI. Gold-plated pins? Gold's a worse conductor than copper, and if corrosion is a concern, you're doing something wrong. No PCI slots? It ain't dead yet. The power circuits seem to be the same. So what's the point?

voklskier4452

the gold plating is for pin rot, this is a benching board, designed to be the fastest thing ever made, and if you paid any attention you would know this, it needs things like 2x8pin because at the kind of OC's that people will pull using this thing there will be almost 300 amps being pulled by the vrm's.

this is not a board for web browsing, this is a board to break records

ToXic

im almost sad i bought a x58 LE.... i want one of these monsters =) probably gonna cost like 600$ if the standard classified is like 450$.

but 630W to a GPU? jesus... that would make me run my core on fumes.

MpG

the gold plating is for pin rot, this is a benching board, designed to be the fastest thing ever made, and if you paid any attention you would know this, it needs things like 2x8pin because at the kind of OC's that people will pull using this thing there will be almost 300 amps being pulled by the vrm's.

this is not a board for web browsing, this is a board to break records
Actually I consider myself a fairly attentive person, although you may wish to re-read what I typed earlier with a little more care. I stand by what I said - this board isn't giving anything new - we've already got the Classified available to us, and it already covers the good points of this board, including the power circuits and the twin 8-pin power plugs. If you have corrosion problems in the socket area, you should probably do a better job of insulation. I fully appreciate the Classified, it's this iteration of the board that I find a little ridiculous.

MpG

It'll take four cards, although obviously one of them needs to be single-slot. EVGA marketed it as a tri-SLI+Phsyx. But unless there's something in the software deliberately preventing it, there' s technically no reason you couldn't shoehorn in four heavy cards in there, as long as at least one had been single-slotted (i..e waterblock, bent aftermarket heatsink, etc). So you get easier 4-way with this new design, balanced against the difficulty of fitting it in most cases and even a few benches.

Latest posts