What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EVGA NU - Sound Card - Best option for Audio/DAC?

Bond007

I am not in the market right now, but this review has painted a very positive picture for the EVGA NU for anyone looking at a DAC/amp.

Summery from the review:
"The EVGA NU Audio's output performance is so good that I'd recommend it even to those who aren't interested or plan to ever use its inputs. It's a very interesting proposal to anyone after a great DAC/amp for use with their PC. The NU Audio sound card offers terrific performance to such users and doesn't even seem all that expensive when you consider the cost of various hi-fi products it surpasses in terms of pure sound quality"

Basically they have said its mic input is lacking, but the outputs are so good it doesn't matter.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NU_Audio_Sound_Card/

Thoughts?

supaflyx3

Seems alright, it uses a good DAC but I couldn't find any mention of output power ratings so it's unlikely it can drive cans like the T50RP or monoprices line of planars. I'd still prefer a schiit stack for likely less money and much better quality

Bond007

Seems alright, it uses a good DAC but I couldn't find any mention of output power ratings so it's unlikely it can drive cans like the T50RP or monoprices line of planars. I'd still prefer a schiit stack for likely less money and much better quality
It is odd they didn't say an output power. On the performance page they talk about the specific components used to drive headphones, and state that it out drives a number of other test units.

About all I can find:

Headphone Amp: 16-600ohm (Independent Analog Control)
Maximum Voltage: 8Vrms
Maximum Current: 250mA

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
It is odd they didn't say an output power. On the performance page they talk about the specific components used to drive headphones, and state that it out drives a number of other test units.
Yeah, that part of the review was odd. Says it outpowers everything else, but doesn't actually give any technical specs.

I think the only downfall of any soundcard is the potential of other interference within your case/motherboard/etc. And it also assumes your PC is your only source of content.

supaflyx3

I wouldn't really expect 5.1 output on a card that's marketed as a DAC/Amp and not a soundcard. $250 is cheap if it's as good as reviews say, a good DAC and amp is usually in the neighborhood of $500.

MARSTG

KaptCrunch

math suggest is 16 watts output, may the reason they omitted that info due to some country law on listening device output (like France) can reach. World Health Organization

In France said:
the maximum sound level from headphones and earphones used with personal music
players is limited by law to protect hearing. It has been reported that, as of February 2013, all
personal music players sold in the EU must restrict headphone sound levels; whereas at the
moment this is not a legal requirement in EU Member States apart from France. However, to avoid
country-specific modifications of software and to sell the same model of music players or
headphones throughout the EU, it is likely the players will need to comply with French law.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter