What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EVGA P55 Classified, EVGA X58 Classified, Core i7, New SATA? -ConfuseD-

TokeR

Hey Guy's I am just extremely confused on what is going on, I hear there is a new USB 3.0 now along with some New 6GB SATA thing, that apparently only new boards have.. Does this mean the EVGA P55 Supports USB 3.0 & 6GB SATA? I want to get the EVGA x58 Classified but I don't want to buy something then a week later something better but the same price comes out if you know what I mean.. So What should I do.. I am also confused on this Core i7 thing have they changed the number of pins or something? Like the P55 Supports the 1156 and the X58 Supports the 1366 (Whatever the number is I forget) But Yeah I just want to know which board will do the following:

-Support The New? SATA Speed
-Support USB 3.0
-Has the core i7 Socket (because thats the best CPU at the moment right)
-Is Good For OverClocking - I want to OverClock the Core i7 920 to 4.1GHz+

I am not even sure if there are any USB 3.0 boards out yet but will EVGA make a board like the x58 classified that will support the USB 3.0 Because up until I found out about these new SATA/USB things I was going to happily purchase the EVGA x58 3 Way SLI Classified and wait for the new 300 Series cards to come out.

But now I am really confused and as you can probably tell this will be my first Big Build.

Thanks Guys!

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
-Support The New? SATA Speed
-Support USB 3.0
-Has the core i7 Socket (because thats the best CPU at the moment right)
-Is Good For OverClocking - I want to OverClock the Core i7 920 to 4.1GHz+

- No

- No

- Depends. Do you mean 1156 or 1366? Both have i7 processors and EVGA has boards that support both. The P55 boards support i5 750, i7 860 and i7 870 LGA 1156 processors while their X58 boards support the i7 920, i7 950, i7 965, i7 975 and the upcoming i9 LGA 1366 processors.

- These days overclocking is more limited by your CPU + cooling than the motherboard.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
sky is right on the money, the only thing I would add is that SATA6 and USB3 are still bleeding-edge. There is some boards out that have the feature, but I would (personally) wait until intel releases their new chipset with naitive 6/3 support.

TokeR

- No

- No

- Depends. Do you mean 1156 or 1366? Both have i7 processors and EVGA has boards that support both. The P55 boards support i5 750, i7 860 and i7 870 LGA 1156 processors while their X58 boards support the i7 920, i7 950, i7 965, i7 975 and the upcoming i9 LGA 1366 processors.

- These days overclocking is more limited by your CPU + cooling than the motherboard.

Great Thanks man! you really cleared up the whole 1366/1156 processor confusion for me because I knew they both had i7 and thats what made it so confusing. Looks like the EVGA x58 is for me then. Thanks again.

sky is right on the money, the only thing I would add is that SATA6 and USB3 are still bleeding-edge. There is some boards out that have the feature, but I would (personally) wait until intel releases their new chipset with naitive 6/3 support.

Okay, Thanks mate. I have plenty of time because I am still saving up for the components lol. Any ideas on when the SATA6/USB3 Chipset will be coming out (An estimate would be enough :thumb:) Thanks.

ayah

Intel said not to expect USB3 on their chipsets until 2011.
MB makers will probably be slapping on add-in chips for it though.

Raserei408

The ASUS P6X58D Premium has support for all of this, not to mention it is guaranteed to support the Gulftown architecture (32nm 6-core i7 processors). Gigabyte's X58A-UD7 also supports USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps. However, both are expensive boards (310 and 350 USD respectively). More boards should come out supporting the new SATA and USB specs, but it will probably be a while before any more are released. Also, if you're doing that kind of OC on a 920 you'll need some good cooling. Unless you're going to try water cooling (you're on your own there) I'd recommend following coolers depending on budget: CM Hyper 212 Plus, Titan Fenrir, Noctua D14. These seem to be the best coolers in each price range.

TokeR

Intel said not to expect USB3 on their chipsets until 2011.
MB makers will probably be slapping on add-in chips for it though.

Great Thanks for that, I always find it so hard to find out when a company thinks it's product will be coming out - On that topic Does ANYONE know when the Nvidia 300 Series cards are expected to come out also because I am quite new to this I do not know but - When Nvidia releases a card do we have to wait even longer for companies like EVGA to release there versions of the card and also do they release cards at different times but in the same series So like when a GTX 310 comes out the 395 will be out at the same time (These are just made up names based on the current generation) Or do the cards get released in layers like. In 1 month = the 310 then 3 months later the 395. Thanks for anyone that can help me with that.

The ASUS P6X58D Premium has support for all of this, not to mention it is guaranteed to support the Gulftown architecture (32nm 6-core i7 processors). Gigabyte's X58A-UD7 also supports USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps. However, both are expensive boards (310 and 350 USD respectively). More boards should come out supporting the new SATA and USB specs, but it will probably be a while before any more are released. Also, if you're doing that kind of OC on a 920 you'll need some good cooling. Unless you're going to try water cooling (you're on your own there) I'd recommend following coolers depending on budget: CM Hyper 212 Plus, Titan Fenrir, Noctua D14. These seem to be the best coolers in each price range.

Okay, I thought the USB 3.0 was not out for a while though? I heard there are boards that support SATA6 but not USB 3.0? Also I think any x58 board will support the Core i9 (Gulftown). I will be using liquid cooling and I already know what I need for that but Thanks.

Thanks again guys.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The latest rumors say mid 2010 if we're lucky. But no one 'knows'.

I wouldnt hold your breath for it any time soon. :sad:

TokeR

Lame, I was hoping someone would say something like "Are you daft? Nvidia has confirmed a release date before Christmas" lol.. I am using a 8800GTX until they release the 300 series, I was going to upgrade to the 295's but then found out they will be releasing the 300 series and decided to wait. Why does Nvidia name there cards so confusingly lol.. for me anyway... 8800 GTX sounds newer than 295 or 300..to me.

Latest posts