What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EVGA X79 board with 8 DIMMS?

dlactin2408

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about EVGA releasing a x79 motherboard with 8 memory slots. I am a fan of EVGA board and was thinking about upgrading to an x79 setup in mid February, but I would like 8 memory slots just in case I want to throw more ram in.

Notagiant

Tomshardware has a review of four such boards in there Motherboard Articles section. I'd post a link but this is my first hardwarecanucks post and I can't link.

dlactin2408

Those are nice boards, but none of them are EVGA motherboards. Although I may just have to pick up one of those instead, thanks for the link!

Notagiant

Drat! I missed your EVGA comment. Sorry about that. Also, remember to note that if the mobo calls for QUAD channel memory, you will need to buy that type in order to make the most of it.

Happy hunting!

SugarJ

Staff member
Not true, any 4 matched sticks can be "quad channel"
To elaborate, it's the memory controller that is actually quad channel, and not the RAM sticks themselves. Although the memory manufacturers and their marketing reps would have you believe otherwise.

Notagiant

I'm on fire today!

Thanks for correcting me. I am not a fan of being mislead so I am glad that you guys have my back.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I'm sure that EVGA will be coming out with one but in all reality, I don't see why you can't just buy a 4-slot board and equip it with 4x 4GB modules or 4x 8GB modules.

Latest posts

Twitter