What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Extended desktop problem.....

sswilson

Staff member
Wasn't really sure where to put this as it's "troubleshooting" + "Graphics" + OS related.... ;)

Here's the deal... I've got my 4 cards currently setup as an extended desktop, but I don't have desktops 2,3, & 4 plugged into monitors. (Necessary for folding with 4 gpus).

I've got a program which I believe is running on one of those extra screens, but since I can't see it, I have no way of moving it back onto the primary.

Is there a "move all open program display windows to primary screen" command in windows XP?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... resolved the issue. Was running but with no display.... shut the program down in task manager and restarted did the trick.

That said... I've run into this problem before and it'd be great if anybody had a suggestion on how to best manage something that's gone off of the primary display if you can't see the screen to drag it back.....

sswilson

Staff member
Cool!!! Thanks for the tip. IIRC, that's how I got my napster screen back after it had been set up to work on the secondary display (installed and uninstalled that sucker twice before I realised it was there but running on an unseen screen.... ;) ). In this case it wouldn't have worked though as I wasn't getting a taskbar indication. (guess the display shut down but the exe was still running in the background).

crazyhorsejohnny

Heh.... resolved the issue. Was running but with no display.... shut the program down in task manager and restarted did the trick.

That said... I've run into this problem before and it'd be great if anybody had a suggestion on how to best manage something that's gone off of the primary display if you can't see the screen to drag it back.....

I have the same board and chip and soon (hopefully !!!) i"ll be putting 4x GTS 250s. All I have to do is extend the desktop? No dummie plugs needed? I'll be running XP 32.

sswilson

Staff member
That's what I'm currently running is XP32. I already run two monitors on that system so I initially had all 4 cards plugged into monitors (2X DVI, 2X VGA) for setup, but now that it's set up all I've got is the first card running cloned onto both monitors.

Latest posts