What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

External Seagate HDD hangs/freezes pc

yuriythebest

Greetings y'all!
I have a Seagate external 5gb HDD with lots of important stuff
Recently it began to hang, and now it's at the point where it doesn't open.
After I plug it in, after a while it shows up in Windows Explorer, however the amount of free disk space below the icon doesn't appear.

• Even in safe mode, Right clicking and going to "properties" is impossible (hangs)
  • Chkdisk also doesn't help - I was able to get to the cmd portion without it freezing and even launching the chkdsk command, but after a while it says "access denied"
  • Tried it on a mac, there it appears but again "keeps loading"
  • I tried a different cable, also didn't help
Is there something else I can try?

sswilson

Staff member
What model number external drive is it? Maybe the physical HDD can be "shucked" from the enclosure and slaved into your PC (or connected to a different USB adapter if you've got a laptop as opposed to a PC)?

yuriythebest

What model number external drive is it? Maybe the physical HDD can be "shucked" from the enclosure and slaved into your PC (or connected to a different USB adapter if you've got a laptop as opposed to a PC)?
it's a Seagate 2R2APG-500
A visual examination did not reveal any screws

sswilson

Staff member
If it's similar to this one there are no screws, it's an aluminum case with tabs that you can pry up.

No guarantees unless you can find a direct confirmation for your part number that it's shuckable, but aside from paying big bucks to pay somebody to disassemble the drive and replace the control board you're left with hoping that it's the USB interface that's failing/failed and not the drive's control board.

crazyea

Is it a single wire, non power adapter type? If so, do not plug it into the front ports of your pc. It does not provide enough power for the external drive. Only use the back port.

yuriythebest

Is it a single wire, non power adapter type? If so, do not plug it into the front ports of your pc. It does not provide enough power for the external drive. Only use the back port.
yup, single wire. It was plugged into the back ( it's not a new HDD that I can't get to work, it's been working for a few years and now began to not work/make the pc hang when plugged in)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
iv had luck recovering data from a mac hdd dang thing is a pain in butt. but surprisingly disk drill worked when i took drive out to clone it to a sata ssd. the replacing of logic board isnt so bad its making sure you can transplant the bios chip and the firmware that gets intense. best and first option shuck it get a sata to usb adapter depending on size it should work.