What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

External sound card(s) with at least 24/96 optical out?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm going to sit on this for a day or two to see if anybody else has suggestions, but as it stands I'm probably going to order one of the Topping D10s units. Saves me a significant amount of money over one of the creative labs models, and I don't need a full fledged sound card, I just need a decent optical out port that can be moved from one build to another so that I'm not forced into a relatively high end board just for the sake of that port.

sswilson

Staff member
Well... since there were no further recommendations, and the amazon listing was showing "only one left" I grabbed it. :)

Hopefully this will do the trick. (Thanks for the recommendation Friendly)

sswilson

Staff member
Got it in this afternoon, and most certainly working as advertised WRT me just wanting to output a decent stereo optical signal. Wish I'd have looked into this years ago for this particular application (strictly outputing to a receiver for stereo music audio).

Of course.... now that I've got it, I can't leave it at that.... I'll have to test the analog out against the digital signal. :)

It'd also be interesting to look into one of the smaller power amps (as opposed to a receiver) assuming I could get one working with my sub. (But then again.... that's probably a whole new rabbit hole I probably shouldn't go down.... :) ).

sswilson

Staff member

Grabbed a Fosi Audio BT30D Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio Receiver Amplifier 2.1 Channel to try pairing with the DAC.

I couldn't resist.... looks like a perfect match and it was on sale. :)

Wow!!!! Just Wow!!!!

No problems driving my Polks, and sounds great.

If you're not concerned with surround sound one of these will turn pretty much any reasonably efficient set of speakers into a stand-alone set of powered speakers.

Latest posts