What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

External USB drive not recognized

Dunc

I have a sata drive (in an external case) that connects using usb2. This is plugged in intermittently. System is Win 10, 64 bit. Most times, when plugged in for the 1st time it is recognized: assigned a drive letter, etc.

Once the directory of this drive is accessed in File Explorer (FE) & then FE is closed then on subsequent opening the drive is not assigned a drive letter - instead, it has two. Clicking on either one gets a dialog box stating: "Please insert a disk into" with the drive letter displayed.

Somehow, this hard drive has been transformed into an optical drive. Say what? To get it back requires a power off, then start (a restart, with no power off, does not work). Often this must be repeated several times before it takes or the computer must be shut down for an extended period - to allow it to be "forgotten?"

When malfunctioning it does not show up in Device Manager as a disk drive or dvd/cd-rom drive; instead, the two drives show as " Portable Devices". R-clicking & examining Properties identifies both as "usb drive" (one has an icon that resembles an external dvd drive, the other a printer (?).

How can I force the drive to behave? Ideally, I prefer a permanent solution but an each-time workaround would be better than nothing

moocow

Have you tried removing the drive from the case and plugging it directly into the tower? If it works, it could be faulty case or faulty USB.

KaptCrunch

yes check pinout on USB with multi-meter and not powered

other sure using the correct USB port eg.... usb 2 stick in a usb 3 port

and have current usb 2, 3 driver for motherboard

in your bios are settings for USB select hotplug

Dunc

drive is 3.5 inch Seagate Barracude 7200.11, 500 GB
I will try attaching directly to an external sata port (on the computer)

KaptCrunch

I hope that's at rear of motherboard for most times case usb are not correct need to check pinout with a continuity light to plug end while no connection to MB

Dunc

Alas

Well, I finally figured it out. The drive is no more - just a lump of metal. Plug it in & got a few shrieks & groans, then it totally shut down.
That's what bkups are for.

sswilson

Staff member
Well, I finally figured it out. The drive is no more - just a lump of metal. Plug it in & got a few shrieks & groans, then it totally shut down.
That's what bkups are for.

Is it Pining for the fjords?

Latest posts