What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Extremely slow transfer rates

muse108dc

USB 2.0, E-sata and LAN all seem to be settle to 10MB/s which is much too slow for my needs. Esata may burst up to 100 at the begining but then it drops right down to 10, LAN over a windows 7 homegroup (one wired one not) again goes to 10 for the vast majority of the transfer. USB 2 I dont expect much from it.

Running windows 7 Pro and I'm being confused as to why its so slow, backing up anything is taking days now and I need to be able to do a lot of large (not the massive back ups) transfer on a regular basis so I'm going mad. Any ideas, I'd be ever so thankful

Arinoth

Staff member
Well if you are not running a gigabit router, your maximum transfer speed would be 25 MB/s over from a standard router, though you are not getting even that. What are the specs of the system, perhaps its the slow speed of the hard drive in an older machine?

muse108dc

its more the esata thats bugging me than the wireless but main system is i7, 6gigs of ram with fairly recent harddrives (1 2TB WD green. 1 1TB Seagate something or other, etc), other end of wireless is a netbook so again annoyed by slow speeds but not surprised.

I'm going to do a wired connection between the other wired computer in my house soon, havent had a chance to do that yet.

Caldezar

I know someone who ran in to a similar problem with network to USB transfers. (Can't speak for esata) His best guess was that the issue was a protocol conversion problem somewhere in the OSI stack. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but his issue was resolved by using TeraCopy for all his large network transferring. It's free software, and although I've never used it, he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.

JD

Staff member
Well if you are not running a gigabit router, your maximum transfer speed would be 25 MB/s over from a standard router, though you are not getting even that. What are the specs of the system, perhaps its the slow speed of the hard drive in an older machine?
Actually on a 100Mbps router, 10MB/s would be the upper limits.

I know someone who ran in to a similar problem with network to USB transfers. (Can't speak for esata) His best guess was that the issue was a protocol conversion problem somewhere in the OSI stack. I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but his issue was resolved by using TeraCopy for all his large network transferring. It's free software, and although I've never used it, he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.
I use TeraCopy at work since our network can be flaky at times. Works great, allows resume and will "test" that the copy was successful via CRC if you tell it to do so. I don't find it to be noticeably faster though.

Arinoth

Staff member
Ah i forgot to carry the one, i had meant the theoretical max 100mbit/s standard router can transmit is 12.5MB/s so your 10MB/s over the lan sounds right as JD stated.

JD

Staff member
The network being slow is the only one I can understand though, especially with a wireless client at one end I'm surprised you even hit 10MB/s.

USB should be good up to 30MB/s or so and eSATA should offer close to 100MB/s. But then it comes down to what sort of drive your using and the quality of it and possibly the cables connecting it to your PC.

Binks

I spent a good month troubleshooting a problem I had with a NAS device. It worked fine; but every once in a while my streaming box to the TV wouldn't be able to "see" it.

As it turns out, I had a bad network cable. My computer didn't have any trouble (I guess it had more advanced error correction?) so I initially discounted the possibility that it was a bum cable.

Now, I don't know why all three would be bad; but it might be worthwhile to check some of the fundamentals.

Latest posts