What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Failed reboots on a new board

Caldezar

Having an odd issue I can't pinpoint, except to say it's the MB. (MSI Z87i Gaming AC)

With this new MB, I'm running in to a problem were it won't properly reboot. I can turn it on without issue, install Windows, install drivers, etc. all without issue. However, anytime it reboots (save and exit BIOS, reboots during Windows install, after driver installs, etc.) It just shuts down to a black screen. The fans and components are all running, just goes through the motions of shutting down but never actually DOES shut down. I then have to flick the power switch on the back of the psu and then turn it back on. Beyond that, everything behaves normally. I've swapped out parts, reset the BIOS, etc. But I can't seem to pinpoint the issue.

I'm going to try updating the BIOS when I get home, but not sure if that's the issue. At first I thought I may have screwed up the front panel connectors since the board has no labelling for them and the manual sucks. But I double checked, and everything looks good there. Has anyone ever run in to this before? Or have any thoughts?

Shadowmeph

almost sounds like a windows issue like it is going into a power saving mode or something like that.

sswilson

Staff member
Having an odd issue I can't pinpoint, except to say it's the MB. (MSI Z87i Gaming AC)

With this new MB, I'm running in to a problem were it won't properly reboot. I can turn it on without issue, install Windows, install drivers, etc. all without issue. However, anytime it reboots (save and exit BIOS, reboots during Windows install, after driver installs, etc.) It just shuts down to a black screen. The fans and components are all running, just goes through the motions of shutting down but never actually DOES shut down. I then have to flick the power switch on the back of the psu and then turn it back on. Beyond that, everything behaves normally. I've swapped out parts, reset the BIOS, etc. But I can't seem to pinpoint the issue.

I'm going to try updating the BIOS when I get home, but not sure if that's the issue. At first I thought I may have screwed up the front panel connectors since the board has no labelling for them and the manual sucks. But I double checked, and everything looks good there. Has anyone ever run in to this before? Or have any thoughts?
I've had this kind of issue several times over the years and in most cases it's ended up being something related to USB. Last time required me to re-install the drivers for the USB 3.0 card I've got installed on my X58 board.

Caldezar

almost sounds like a windows issue like it is going into a power saving mode or something like that.
I've had this kind of issue several times over the years and in most cases it's ended up being something related to USB. Last time required me to re-install the drivers for the USB 3.0 card I've got installed on my X58 board.
Except that the same issue happens even if I just save/quit straight out of the BIOS. (No Windows involvement at all.) It still 'shuts down' but hangs on a black screen before actually rebooting. I suppose it could be a hardware issue with USB somewhere along the way. I'll pop out the USB and USB3.0 headers for the front panel and see if the issue goes away with no USB cabling at all plugged in to the MB.

sswilson

Staff member
Does the motherboard have any kind of setting specifically related to resetting resource allocation?

Caldezar

Not that I can find, but I find the new UEFI BIOS' to be a pain to navigate. I have noticed that the board defaults everything to UEFI boot options, and I have changed it to legacy as I'm running Windows 7. I don't think this should cause any issues?

ZZLEE

I have not played with this BIOS

Look fore Boot options in bios go fore the longest setting you can if nothing else its easier to get to BIOS to figure out whats hanging.

sswilson

Staff member
I don't know enough about UEFI to offer an informed suggestion on that at all... :)

What about PSU? Any chance it's an older PSU? Seems to me I may have resolved a similar issue by replacing an older PSU with a new unit. Sorry I can't be more specific... I've seen the issue a few times and I know at least that it was USB related a few times and that a bios update resolved it another time (that was ages ago with an asrock S754 motherboard IIRC), but other than that I don't remember any specifics.

As far as it occurring during bios reboot is concerned... might be something to do with items connected to the USB as opposed to the drivers themselves.

Caldezar

So I got home and swapped out for a modular 620. I'm running in to the same issue still. However it's actually working just fine when I shut down. It's ONLY when I reboot. And to be clear, it still happens even if I unplug all the drives and only reboot from the BIOS. So whatever happens, it's not Windows related. Gonna try flashing the BIOS then mess with USB connections.

Caldezar

BIOS + Intel ME update solved the issue. Not sure which of the two actually resolved it, since they updated together. But just glad it's resolved now.

Latest posts

Twitter