What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Falcon Heavy Launch

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, that was cool. Pretty amazing that Space X's first launch of their new rocket worked out as planned. Watching the 2 side boosters land simultaneously on land gave me goosebumps. I'm waiting to see if the center booster landed OK on the drone ship, but even if it didn't Elon's red Tesla is on it's way to Mars orbit.

If you want to watch the launch again, see here: Falcon Heavy Test Flight | SpaceX

Lysrin

Lots of comments on the landing. I was working, couldn't watch. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the link.

Groove

Watched it live as well, pretty amazing stuff! The dual booster landing, in the same camera shot, was definitely awesome!

Lysrin

Apparently the centre booster didn't land on the drone ship, failed to fire some of its boosters required to land correctly. But still, as The Verge reported, as relatively small hiccup for an otherwise successful day. Musk's team just didn't quite get the hat-trick ;)

moocow

2 out of 3 cores recovered plus the payload is in orbit is not a bad mission. Musk may just make all his cash in SpaceX and let Tesla out to dry.

dragoonxx

Apparently the centre booster didn't land on the drone ship, failed to fire some of its boosters required to land correctly. But still, as The Verge reported, as relatively small hiccup for an otherwise successful day. Musk's team just didn't quite get the hat-trick ;)

and from what i was reading/hearing (didn't watch the whole press conference) but musk was more glad that the side boosters landed (as they had new titanium grid fins and a few other changes, but the centre core wasn't using the new fins)

gingerbee

yup amazon stuff. Watch all of it press conference and all and musk said the side boosters where the big deal they were hoping for the hat trick but the center booster hit the water he said about 100 meters from the drone going way to fast hence what happened to the drone-ship (lost camera and trusters) some say it was going almost 300mph

belgolas

The center core only 1 engine fired but they needed 3 engines to properly slow it down. Estimated 300mph crash into the ocean and they are not sure if the drone ship survived. If they can get the camera footage that would be pretty cool. Thankfully Elon says that if it did survive he would release the footage.