What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fan placement on radiator

danmitch1

So i managed to nab 2 MLpros from 10e (thanks man!)
Im planning down the line to buy 2 more but for now im going to set up a push pull using the stock corsair fans from my h100i v2 and the mlpros.

My question is, would it be better to put the mls (better fans ) up near the top where the tubes go in and out or at the bottom? Considering the pushpull configuration is better having matching fans working in conjunction.
Im thinking near the top , maybe it makes no real difference...

best fans where_.png

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Put the weaker fans as the push and the strong fans as the pull. Helps prevent making a whole wack of vortexes and odd airflow movement.
Whenever I've doubled up on a rad, I've done that, even with matched Fans (just controlling through a fan controller or the MB headers).

-ST

danmitch1

Really eh, i always thought they needed to be equal.
So with that logic, you should save yourself money and intentionally buy weaker fans for the pull side.

Is this also the case for scenarios (such as mine ) where the push side is filtered?

Bond007

Not positive, but you could test it a few ways to see. My thinking is the the intake side is going to be the most restricted, so should get the most benefit from the highest static pressure fans. The weaker fans would then basically just ease the load by pulling away whatever air coming its way.

Nothing scientific or proven though, just my thought process.

sswilson

Staff member
Not positive, but you could test it a few ways to see. My thinking is the the intake side is going to be the most restricted, so should get the most benefit from the highest static pressure fans. The weaker fans would then basically just ease the load by pulling away whatever air coming its way.

Nothing scientific or proven though, just my thought process.

That sounds logical to me, but like you I don't have any real experience / testing to back it up.

danmitch1

I tested putting the ml's on the pull side and saw 0 temperature improvement. Exactly the same temps with only the stock fans (kinda odd because i also washed out the rad with water, i guess there wasnt enough dust to effect performance).
Ill try them on the push side today.

danmitch1

Last night I installed the ML's in a push config, I saw worse temps than with the stock fans in the push config (5'c hotter, with relatively similar room temperature.
I wonder if having the ML's controlled by my motherboard and the stock fans controlled by ICUE has anything to do with it. I set the stock fans in ICUE to the extreme profile and set my ML's to fullspeed.

Ill try controlling the stock fans with my motherboard and see what happends.
If no difference is found, ill test having as I first mentioned, ML pushing into ML pull, stock pushing into stock pull.

Latest posts