What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fan placement on radiator

Cptn Vortex

In terms of mis-matched fans on either side I've never really thought about that, but could make for an interesting test.

sswilson

Staff member
You definitely need to be comparing apples to apples so you might want to set fixed RPMs during testing.

danmitch1

So the stock fans are rated up to 2700rpm but i never seen them go passed 1850 in ICUE with the extreme profile selected ( never thought to check the actual rating TBH)

The Ml's are rated up to 2400 rpm.

Ill hook them all up directly to the Mb and set them at an equal speed then post back.

sswilson

Staff member
I've found running the MLs above 1800 RPM has provided negligible performance gains, especially when considering how freaking loud the fans get at high RPMs when compared to lower RPMs....

danmitch1

Yeah, that is true. Really loud! I dont mind as usually if ive got the fans going very high its cause im gaming with headphones on.
Ill take that into consideration though, perhaps ill set everyone to 1800rpm and test it out.

danmitch1

Had quite the scare last night. I removed the stock fans from the h100i pump and plugged them directly to the motherboard. I then booted into the bios and set all the fan to run near 1800rpm, booted into windows.

I then realized I installed gigabyte's SIV software and decided to try out controlling the fans there.
As I was playing with the fan RPM in that software, all of the sudden I loose signal from my graphics card! The pc is still running, I even see the disk usage light flashing... I unplug the monitor cable and re plug, no go.. I was then forced to manually shutdown the pc.

Reboots, I log into windows, just as all the startup programs load.. No SIGNAL again..

I repeated this 3 times.

I then tried to boot into windows in safe mode with network and windows would not accept my password...
Then I was like, maybe if I get into windows and try and quickly uninstall the SIV software before I loose my signal, just managed to do that.
Reboots, same issue again...

Forced shutdown again, this time I left the screen at the windows log in, strangely enough the monitor would not loose signal only until I actually logged in would the loss occur...

I then tried another monitor with another cable, Same issue...
I even unplugged the GPU thinking I nudged it while moving the fan wire around, no go.

As my last resort I rebooted holding shift and used a restore point from a few days ago, let it run through, reboots, SAME THING!

Now im scratching my head like WTF did I do !?

I figured Id go back into the bios and put all the fans back to normal, booted to windows but just before logging in i noticed that there was a pending windows update. So I pressed update and restart, I actually needed to do this 3 times before the message was cleared.

Logged into windows, now everything is fine... Fewf! But wtf was that, shitty part is that I dont know if the windows update was to blame or the fan profiles in the bios...

danmitch1

Back on track, I tested all fans at a fixed 1800rpm from the bios and not that buggy software ( Ml's as push, stock as pull) and saw 0 temp difference between the stock config.

Im reading that with thin rads, push pull is useless. Makes sense to me... Im now going to remove the stock fans and only use the ml's and see what temps I get.

Latest posts

Twitter