What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

FancyCache... Ram cache for SSDs/HDD's.

lowfat

Staff member
FancyCache Overview

Found this over @ XS. Did a bit of playing around with it. And it does work very impressively. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT DATA LOSS/CORRUPTION. My gaming system is rock solid stable and I never have power outages so I thought I'd give it a go. It is a 90 day trial beta. The software even supports TRIM, although I have no idea how that works. It should help w/ lengthening NAND life as well due to eliminating most of the small file random writes.

This is on a single 30GB Intel X25-E. Cache is set to 2GB.

This is a 4k 100% random read w/ a queue depth of 1. After 5 minutes.

And this is a 4k 100% random write w/ a queue depth of 1. After 5 minutes.

If you are familiar w/ Iometer you will know that these are outstanding results. And the fact that it kept up after 5 minutes is pretty impressive. Probably around 10x higher than w/o using FancyCache.

Just a quick run I deleted to do a/ a mechanical drive. Drive is a Seagate 1TB 7200.12.

ilya

In theory this should throw most of the Windows disk thrashing onto your RAM right? I've been looking for ways on top of AAM to reduce HDD noise, I can't find any RAM drive software I like, but this looks promising.

Supergrover

I am just starting to try this out but yes so far impressive results as you stated 10x read/writes on my ssd.
Only done 2 runs so far still getting familiar with the program but so far impressive results.

ilya

Did you turn on write cache?
I did, and after the restart it shows that its enabled, but the included performance monitor isn't detecting any write caching. Going to experiment with it tomorrow, going to leave my system to fold for the night.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Is this actually legit??

I mean, SuperGrovers #s all look the same, whether its on an SSD or a HDD. Not making sense to me somehow...

lowfat

Staff member
Is this actually legit??

I mean, SuperGrovers #s all look the same, whether its on an SSD or a HDD. Not making sense to me somehow...
Because the files he are testing completely fits in the cache. Real world performance isn't going to be anywhere near like that. But it should still give a notable improvement.

LarkStarr

yeah these benchies don't apply to the application. there needs to be activity that's so random and/or large such that it doesn't always hit the cache. (IoMeter I think covers this well?)

But it does indeed show that if you're using your computer such that most of your activities hit the cache, the increase is nothing short of fantastic.

L2ARC for windows?

Twitter