What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fanless watercooling?

mattydies

Has anyone run a water cooling system with an oversized fanless radiator?
I ask because I'm fond of a quiet computer, and well, I have MANY different rad's kicking around from Automobiles (Radiators, Transmission coolers, Heater Cores) :ban:

I'm contemplating getting into water cooling in the new year (if my current CPU stays stable while I drop the voltage). E8400 running 4.2ghz stable, I've been in windows @ 4.5ghz (very unstable). This is with Air cooling, and based on my temps @ the stock speed of 3.0Ghz, my cooler is poorly mounted. All hardware is in my Sig.

I have nudged the CPU cooler MANY times. Some of those nudges may have been 'twists'. This would upset a (previously) proper mount?

Yes I'm cheap, and I enjoy custom stuff, even if it looks ghetto (but performs sufficiently) :ph34r:

Lpfan4ever

I think Squeetard was the one with the giant radiator hidden behind his couch. Give him a PM and see.

ilya

There was a build log of a fanless watercooled system on SPCR. It was basically a giant copper radiator box that "boxed" the actual system.

FreeKnight

Bigger fins, bigger fins, bigger fins. If you add more runs of pipe (and more fluid to fill them) that would help too. Your other option would be to run the rad or pipes through small secondary heat exchanger. (Actually thinking about this makes me want to fab something up...)

KaptCrunch

SA400141.jpg

i see a automotive AC condenser

mardig88

What if you use a fishtank as a reservoir? It should have enough heat capacity to cool your system .

KaptCrunch

mattydies caution some of then trans rads, condensors/evap, are made out of alu so that be a mix metal loop

Latest posts